Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best States for Business

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    It may surprise you to know a small business is a business with 500 or less employees. In my mind far from it.
    500 is surprising, I would have thought the cut off was 100- hence the vaccine mandate employee cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    And some of you would complain a bag of gold was too heavy.
    They are never too heavy for a politician to carry home- or give away.

The govt burden on my business is enormous- it sure would be nice to get a tax-free year or 5 like the big guys get.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    They are never too heavy for a politician to carry home- or give away.

The govt burden on my business is enormous- it sure would be nice to get a tax-free year or 5 like the big guys get.
    Or not have to spend a quarter of a million dollars landscaping a property you purchase because the city says so.
    Last edited by Jay; 11-29-2021 at 09:30 AM.

I'm okay. I am noticing a population growth around our little town, it's nasty. I could ask to be left alone more, mostly federal stuff. Local government hasn't bothered me. If it does I can have a civil conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Or not have 2 spend a quarter of a million dollars landscaping a property you purchase because the city says so.
    Damn- that's terrible
    The govt burden has gotten out of control- they think they should spend a businesses' time and money the same way they spend the taxpayers.

A recent 40k project became 60k after all the govt imposed permits, fees, time to comply and obtain- after obtaining the federal and state permits- the Sullivans Island permit to construct a knee-high seawall wall in the clients yard and refresh existing rip rap took 10 months to obtain, and it wasn't just waiting- it was a constant repetition of denials from each layer of the towns permit office- then fighting with each layer for approval- no changes were ever made- it was finally approved as submitted.

F#*k the govt and their bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'm okay. I am noticing a population growth around our little town, it's nasty. I could ask to be left alone more, mostly federal stuff. Local government hasn't bothered me. If it does I can have a civil conversation.
    With outsiders moving in you can expect the local government to start bothering you a little more.

I imagine it's a great state to do business in if you are in the meth or catalytic converter theft business.
    Pit bull sales and delipidated single wide rental folks are probably doing well also.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-29-2021 at 09:45 AM.

With outsiders moving in you can expect the local government to start bothering you a little more.
    I don't really. Property taxes are likely to rise some, but they always do, it's decent where I live now. Second home prices bother me, I don't have much to fuss about. I don't care for the traffic in the newer part of town, so I rarely go there.

Tricky Niki was behind the port. She sold SC out to be the keynote speaker in Georgia.

If I'm going to spend time thinking about poor government choices, it's mostly on the federal level.

I don't really. Property taxes are likely to rise some, but they always do, it's decent where I live now. Second home prices bother me, I don't have much to fuss about. I don't care for the traffic in the newer part of town, so I rarely go there.
    You are a lucky man but sooner or later they will find ya and fuck up your world too. Noticed driving down Hwy 97 this weekend timerland getting ready to be subdivide. My son said who would buy a subdivision lot down here. Well it is midway between charlotte/Rockhill and Columbia that is who. When they get there they will be a country gent too.
    Last edited by centurian; 11-29-2021 at 11:04 AM.

You are a lucky man but sooner or later they will find ya and fuck up your world too. Noticed driving down Hwy 97 this weekend timerland getting ready to be subdivide. My son said who would by a subdivision lot down here. Well it is midway between charlotte/Rockhill and Columbia that is who.
    It's what happened to Indianland.. but I rarely head north. Well, only to this side of Beaver Creek.

It's what happened to Indianland.. but I rarely head north. Well, only to this side of Beaver Creek.
    Ha Ha not a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Tricky Niki was behind the port. She sold SC out to be the keynote speaker in Georgia.
    She wasn’t governor when SC started the decline

Or not have to spend a quarter of a million dollars landscaping a property you purchase because the city says so.

Agreed - they are getting as bad as Beaufort County up your way.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Or spend $50k for a new fire hydrant because you tore down an eyesore and built a new building because the city says so. All the while development companies not even based out of Spartanburg are getting the world thrown at them in hopes they MIGHT do a little business here.

Some places are overwhelmed with growth. Others are shrinking.

It is important to have enough growth to keep your children within driving distance when they grow up.

High-strung is correct most of my complaints are either federal or democrat controlled cities.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    It is important to have enough growth to keep your children within driving distance when they grow up.
    Huh? You’re going to have to explain this one to me.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Huh? You’re going to have to explain this one to me.
    What he means RT is that if you live in a more rural place, the only way our kids don't move to NYC and become liberal hipsters is if there is a international manufacturer located within an hour of the house.

DT - Seen in several of your posts about developments, how has your experience with DHEC been? Enjoyable? Simple? Fast? Great Customer Service?

My frustration is when people say something like 'Oh its not much fun here but you wouldn't believe what we have to do in X state', as though that somehow makes it all good? Again, I see it as bragging about who sucks the least... and IMO, that's not much to brag about.
    Formerly DM88

So at what point will we have had enough growth, and we can stop subsidizing it? Is there an endgame here? When the last farmer has sold out? The last timber tract developed?