Thread: Spillway help

Default Spillway help

Anybody on here build gates or something for spillways? I want to go back with something other than treated boards. As you can see the beavers have made getting the boards off a pain in the ass. We trap, shoot, kill them as much as we can but they always come back. I also will take recommendations on what the heck to do to be able to control the water level better.

63B25FE8-A800-4730-B032-859113970D50.jpg

I just got home from helping a friend pull boards. He ties an aluminum boat across the front of the riser, and swears that it completely solves the beaver problem.

They will still build around it but I would look into putting some type of hog wire cage around the outlet. Again, they are still going to be a PITA, but it should keep the majority of that mess off of the actual structure. Also makes it easier to get a trackhoe in there to clean it up and you don’t have to worry as much about damaging the outlet. This is a good example:

184B4BD0-F4C1-4670-B6FA-B839CF91A662.jpeg
    Formerly DM88

Also, would you say you are a casual trapper or hardcore make it your mission to trap every beaver on your property? If the first, I would look into honing your trapping skill set for them and use every method you can and really become an expert at it, not just throw a couple connibears out and hope for the best.
    Formerly DM88

It would literally be a full time job. There are 5 ponds on the property. None of the landowners around us want to do anything about them in their ponds, that’s one reason they keep coming back. I would be at it a lot harder if I had more time but with two kids under 2 years old it’s hard to get out the house sometimes.