Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford F250

Default Ford F250

Anyone have a new f250? I'm thinking about getting one and have never owned a Ford before. I'd like the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm thinking either the 6.2 or the 6.7 diesel. I pull a 21 1/2 ft center console once or twice a week around 200mi. round trip. I also pull a Jon boat out of state 2-3 times a year. I'd rather have more truck than I need that one that will do what I need and strain any whatsoever.
    Last edited by skrimp; 11-26-2021 at 10:47 AM.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

I have a 2019, 6.2 gas and if I were going to pull a 21 foot boat twice a week for that distance I would go with diesel. I get about 13 around town and maybe 16 on the highway. You put any load behind it and it drops to about 6. Since it is a company truck burning company gas, I don’t care as much as I should.

I pull a 8000 camper regularly. It moans about it but gets me there.

I feel it’s under powered.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Get saltydog to give you the specs on his, then go buy that.

I have a 2020 f250 diesel.
    It will pull that load very well.
    I have been happy with the truck.
    I don't like DEF but that is just the way of the world now.

If you choose gas go with the 7.3 but if it’s interstate towing a diesel won’t be downshifting on every hill like gas.

I have a 2020 F350 loaded Lariat CCLWB with the 7.3L Gas engine, 4.30 rear end and 10spd transmission. I didn't want to deal with diesel and all the BS associated with it, DEF, frequent fuel filter changes, $170.00 oil changes, regens, worrying about when the turbo, emissions, or fuel system was going to grenade. I pull a 12,500# boat, a 14,000# track steer and dump trailer and 9,000# tool trailer all the time, it doesn't even sweat those loads. Running 295/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, I get about 13.5-14mpg unloaded and around 8-10mpg loaded depending on the trailer. I added a tuner right after I got it and run the 87 daily tow tune all the time, it's peppy for a big truck. Go to the 93 Performance Tune and it'll impress you. The delta between the 6.7L and 7.3L equipped trucks was around $10,000.00. To break even, I'd have to put between 250-300K miles on it factoring in normal maintenance and zero out of warranty repairs. You can replace the entire engine for the cost of a turbo job, buy two new engines for the cost of a fuel system and 1.5 engines for an emission system.

The truck is badass overall. I had a lady cut me off Wednesday afternoon with the skid loader and dump trailer attached, I had no choice but to punch it into a short window to accelerate. It spun the back tires with all that weight on it.

Prior to this one, I had a '17 with the 6.7 PSD, strong as goat piss for sure. I got an average of 16-16.5mpg unloaded with the 6spd and 3.55 rear. 10-11mpg with the same loaded trailers. The new ones get a few mpg better unloaded with the 10spd but everyone I talk to says the loaded mpg is about the same.

I doubt I will go back to diesel for what I use this truck for as long as Ford is making this 7.3L. Heck you can add a supercharger to this one and run about 650-900hp with a few modifications. The things they are coming out with and doing with this engine with very little modifications are astounding.

The 6.2L is a dog compared to the 7.3L.

Overall comfort of the truck is also pretty good as well.

If you're ever in my neck of the woods and want to take a look at it, let me know. I spec'd and ordered this truck for doing exactly what I use it for.

Guys running the F250 with the 3.55 gears are getting 15-16mpg. The Tremor F250 with the 7.3L has a 4.30 gear. Standard F350 comes with the 3.73 rear.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 11-26-2021 at 12:41 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    If you choose gas go with the 7.3 but if it’s interstate towing a diesel won’t be downshifting on every hill like gas.
    If you put it in tow mode to lock out those upper OD gears, the 7.3L doesn't downshift very much unless it is a pretty good grade.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I’d like an F250 Tremor with the 7.3 and those short gears

Salty you should get five star to tune it
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    Salty you should get five star to tune it
    It’s been tuned since I got it, well 200 miles on it.

Badass must be a slang word for it’s OK in SC

Seems like non-optimal time to be buying a gas guzzler and the word for fed is even when gas improves the new baseline likely full $1.00 higher than pre-Biden

My family is in the Ford business and obviously the largest component of revenue from sales are from people like you in the large truck market… concerned what mid to long term effect will be. Would expect price on used large trucks to improve shorty, maybe be great market for those.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 11-26-2021 at 05:20 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Badass must be a slang word for it’s OK in SC
    No, it’s pretty badass. I drove diesel trucks for 23 years, had all three in various iterations. They’re all strong but the juice ain’t worth the squeeze anymore.

I've got a 2018 Lariat with the 6.7 and 37's, and will not own another truck other than what I drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

All ill say is wait for the supply chain to clear up and order a truck. Last thing id want is one of these trucks sitting on detroit motor speedway for a year and never being started. Cant be good for anythung with all those fluids just sitting there and those trucks not running

Yep!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I love my 2020 F350 CCLWB FX4 with the 6.7L diesel. Just got back from a cross country run and averaged about 19mpg for the whole trip running 80mph. Saw as high as 21 and the lowest was 17.5mpg when going through the mountains. I can pull my little 17ft Ranger bass boat and get 17.5mpg or my 16,000lb fifth wheel and get 12.5mpg. I’ve had it a little over a year and have 44,000 miles on it already. It’s been flawless.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Salty, why 4:30 over 3:73?

Quote Originally Posted by MudCat05 View Post
    Salty, why 4:30 over 3:73?
    Dana instead of Sterling axle. Increased pulling power.

What truck did you have so much trouble with
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung