Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arbery verdict

Default Arbery verdict

A jury in Brunswick, Ga., found three men guilty of murder in the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery, whom they confronted as he was running in their neighborhood in early 2020.

Travis McMichael, 35, chased Mr. Arbery with his father, Gregory McMichael, 65, and William “Roddie” Bryan Jr., 52, in two pickup trucks on Feb. 23, 2020. Travis McMichael shot Mr. Arbery three times with a 12-gauge shotgun, killing him.

Travis McMichael was found guilty on all counts, including one count of malice murder and four counts of felony murder. Gregory McMichael was found guilty of four counts of felony murder and acquitted on a charge of malice murder. Mr. Bryan was convicted on three counts of felony murder and acquitted on malice murder and an additional felony murder charge.

How can two defendants get found guilty on four counts of murder, and one on three counts, when only one person dies?

I thought they would be found guilty

I haven’t been watching, but why are there multiple murder charges for each person when one person was killed?

As for the verdict…like I said soon after this first happened, hard not to look at this as anything but murder when three armed men drive around and attempt to corner and trap/detain an unarmed man running around for a significant amount of time trying to evade/get away from them.

I fully understand the anger felt when someone is stealing stuff from you, but I can not understand anyone making the decisions these men made knowing that pulling a gun on someone likely will result in having to use the gun…thus putting the remainder of their lives in the hands of 12 strangers in hopes they will see the whole mess as self defense.

Sad situation for all involved.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 11-24-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

From what I know about the case, the jury made the right decision. I think they figured they could intimidate Arbury from coming around. Obviously it go as planned and Arbury fought back. They created a bad situation and made bad decisions.

Jury was mostly women…. I didn’t read the definition of the charges to give an informed opinion on their decision. Even if defendants intentions were in the right place their approach and the outcomes were far from it. Take away is best leave policing to police. Even if they’re tits on a boar hog most of time
    Last edited by BuckyTownsend; 11-24-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I haven’t been watching, but why are there multiple murder charges for each person when one person was killed?

As for the verdict…like I said soon after this first happened, hard not to look at this as anything but murder when three armed men drive around and attempt to corner and trap/detain an unarmed man running around for a significant amount of time trying to evade/get away from them.

I fully understand the anger felt when someone is stealing stuff from you, but I can not understand anyone making the decisions these men made knowing that pulling a gun on someone likely will result in having to use the gun…thus putting the remainder of their lives in the hands of 12 strangers in hopes they will see the whole mess as self defense.

Yeah, I don't understand this either.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

good verdict, you cant start a fight and end it with a killin then cry self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand this either.
    Hand of one is the hand of all.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Hand of one is the hand of all.
    I don’t think that’s what he was getting at. I think what we’re seeing is similar to Rittenhouse’s case where the prosecution goes ahead and adds a plethora of lesser charges to see what will stick. In this case they all stuck

It looks like Justice was served.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post

The verdict is the right one and from what I have read and understand of the case there was nothing stolen. They only assumed something was b/c a black man was running in their neighborhood. I could be wrong though.

Chasing an unarmed man while you are armed and then shooting him probably never ends too well in court.
    The jogger was the only one in "self defense" mode, not these three defendants

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    The verdict is the right one and from what I have read and understand of the case there was nothing stolen. They only assumed something was b/c a black man was running in their neighborhood. I could be wrong though.
    You're a little off- I think

Since you can't trust any form of media you have to read through all the garbage and try to figure out the real story
    Best synopsis I could render follows

Dead guy was a known thief that liked to hang out in houses under construction (looking for items to steal) and had recently been witnessed stealing in the neighborhood- so everyone was watching for him. AKA neighborhood watch.
    One of the 3 (the old guy) was retired LEO and they were trying to make a citizens arrest- dead guy had not stolen anything- this time- and was most certainly not a jogger. He was running- to get away.
    They cornered him- and like most cornered things- he fought back and tried to take away the shooters shotgun. Things went bad and they shot him 3 times- if they had only shot once- they might have never been charged.

Legally- they were wrong- and found guilty.
    This is the result of another thread on the site- the new lawlessness of society

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post

Since you can't trust any form of media you have to read through all the garbage and try to figure out the real story

Dead guy was a known thief that liked to hang out in houses under construction (looking for items to steal) and had recently been witnessed stealing in the neighborhood- so everyone was watching for him. AKA neighborhood watch.
    One of the 3 (the old guy) was retired LEO and they were trying to make a citizens arrest- dead guy had not stolen anything- this time- and was most certainly not a jogger. He was running- to get away.
    They cornered him- and like most cornered things- he fought back and tried to take away the shooters shotgun. Things went bad and they shot him 3 times- if they had only shot once- they might have never been charged.

This is the result of another thread on the site- the new lawlessness of society
    This is pretty much the story I read. I believe that he was on video in a house under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post

Good attempt and justifying a murder but it's still murder.

I've been in a number of houses under construction over the years. Never stole thing.

Glad I didn't get shot.

I'm not saying he stole anything. I'm trying to give the murderers as much of the bene o the doubt as I can to illustrate that they still murdered him. I've personally had my house robbed 5 times in three states including one where the douche came into my fenced backyard and onto my screened back porch to steal two elite bows in broad daylight. It made my blood boil each time, and I fantasized about catching them in my house and ending their miserable lives for weeks each time it happened.

These men did not have anything stolen from them from the little I've heard about this. The victim did not have any stolen goods on him when they confronted him. Even if these guys were pissed about stuff in the area being stolen, I just can't see them being so angry that the anger obscured their ability to retain any bit of brain function. What they did was at best idiotic and at worst straight satan evil.

My initial question was regarding the fact that each murderer was charged with multiple counts of murder. I always thought you got convicted of murder 1 or murder 2 or murder 1 with premeditation or aggrivating circumstances etc. I've never seen anyone get convicted of 4 counts of murder for killing one person. Don't really care; they will die in prison.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

How did three people murder one guy?? One would think the man who pulled the trigger would be charged with murder and the other two as accomplices, no?

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    How did three people murder one guy?? One would think the man who pulled the trigger would be charged with murder and the other two as accomplices, no?
    Negative. Those laws got changed a long time ago to try to deal with gang violence I believe. If you partook in the crime in any way, you all get charged. Not a lawyer though
    Formerly DM88

Let me educate all of you. The hand of one is the hand of all.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.