Thread: Is there a problem with Heartguard Dewormer

Default Is there a problem with Heartguard Dewormer

A friend texted me today that a well known Guide down in Louisiana lost several dogs due to Heartworms. He also said the dogs had not missed a treatment. Just wanted to put that out there and see what the word is. Damn what a sad situation!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

My dog gets ivermectin once a month.

No COVID-19 or heartworms.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Default Is there a problem with Heartguard Dewormer

There has been some info released that suggests they are finding resistant strains.
    Heartguard has ivomec in it.
    Talk to your vet if this is something you are concerned about. There are other options.

Interestingly, I volunteer some time to red wolf center in awendaw (I dart them with a gun as needed for handling or vet care and thats about the extent of it) and they are or at least were on ivomec orally and always test negative. Live outside in a mosquito infested area. I am not positive but they may have been switched to proheart injections.

Edit: I am fairly certIn if you have the paperwork proving you religiously buy the meds and the dog gets heartworms the manufacturer will pay for treatment.

If it is caught early it is treatable so not entirely following why he lost the dogs to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 11-23-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Two years ago I went to the injectable much mor convienent.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    My dog gets ivermectin once a month.

No COVID-19 or heartworms.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Bingo
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Yes, HG has Ivomec in it, but I believe the dosage is lower than many people use when mixing their own Ivermectin.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Hell I give interceptor to ours religiously and one of my dogs still got heartworms. She split time indoors and out. Basically when we were home she was inside with us. Caught it early, she survived the treatments and they paid.

Not sure if you'll get the same service out of HG, my point is it's a preventative and isn't always 100% effective.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

If he was doing regular annual testing per recommendations I can’t understand how he “lost” his dogs.

No preventative is 100% and as stated if they have proof of continuity and testing the company pays for treatment.

Letting a dog go from negative to stage III to IV heart worm disease takes some work and doesn’t happen overnight. He may want to find a mirror to see who’s to blame for this.

Them people come from France. You're asking too much out of em.

I heard on a podcast from a well known pro trainer that there was a strain of mosquitos in the LA, AR, MO, MS area post katrina that was resistant to Ivermectin based products (like heartguard). But the Moxidectin based products like Advantage multi worked for all current known strains.

My dog contracted heartworms while I was in Oxford, MS for grad school 2009-2011. Vet had records of my Heartgard purchases and previous negative tests. The manufacturer paid for treatment. Explanation at the time was a resistant strain in the area as others have described.

I have a hard time believing the guide was testing the dogs regularly.

Yeah I sort of know the guy and I’m not highly confident he did what he was supposed to.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Our parasitology professor in vet school worked with the companies that produce HW preventive medications. He said that true heartworm resistance to these medications seems to be more rare than most think. As mentioned above, the first place to look is to the person administering the medications, as well as to see if yearly testing is performed.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability