Thread: New cutover prep

Default New cutover prep

Question for the brain trust. 1 year old cutover already rowed and planted. Native growth is waist high. WITHOUT damaging the new pines any suggestion to make permanent shooting lanes into this cutover as it continues to grown up? Whatever clearing will have to be done with handtools to to planted pines. Thoughts?

Heavy duty weed eater now/this winter and then hit the rows with herbicide when they green up in the spring if you wanna keep them from growing back. Just spray around the pines. Simple glyphosate should do the trick just don’t apply to the pines and you should be good. Backpack sprayer is probably the option.
    More Ducks, Less People

Lots of ways. Work with what you have. I used my mower, weed eater, sprayer and planting stuff pretty heavy. In the process of keeping a lane open that just got cut down myself. Going to plant in the spring a cover crop to keep to much from growing in the summer. Spray. Plant buckwheat. Kill the buckwheat and plant in it for my food plot when I run it over.. going to try and see how that works.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Good info Thanks