Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Age and brows

One thing is for sure, he won't be bigger next year if he's dead.

No justifying here, older I get the more particular I get. This deer doesn’t excite me at all, I’ve seen him within 100 yards several times, however I’m just curious to opinions of this deer’s age and genetics.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I’d guess 3.5
    I don’t think his brow tines are broken off

Personally I would shoot but then again if you’re trying for a bigger buck wait until next year and see what happens.

I'm telling you. Don't shoot him and post his pix next year. just to prove to everyone who says he's 3.5 that he's 5.5. He will not have a bigger rack next year. His body will look the same.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

740AD4CF-69F3-4DD2-8982-777C634ECF0B.jpg

No brow tines, small rack. So 2.5 maybe 3.5 but I was hungry.

C040BDC7-3A1F-4946-BF47-F35B8FC5267B.jpg

How about this one? Basket rack with nubs for brow tines.

Great, Sportin killed dhalls buck. Thanks a lot man.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I'm telling you. Don't shoot him and post his pix next year. just to prove to everyone who says he's 3.5 that he's 5.5. He will not have a bigger rack next year. His body will look the same.
    isnt that the whole point of a "cull?" the antlers dont amount to much year after year? he doesnt look old with short legs and a sway back. he's got a winter coat but...
    whats your fucking point, i guess is my question.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and congrats on a great cull, Sportin Woodies.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Ground Check him and let us know!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    IMO, trying to make a deer a cull is just bc you want to shoot him. People try to justify killing him for some overall herd health and that's hogwash too (until duckman1 comes and tells us differently)

if you want to shoot him and eat him, do it.

If not, just let him grow until you're ready to shoot him and eat him.

he's 3 or 4
    Just to be clear, me saying I would kill him has nothing to do with culling and herd health and everything to do with the fact he's made of meat and I have buck tags to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    If he’s 3.5 why won’t he improve?
    Oh he will improve I just don't think he will improve very much. Like I said. If that deer is 3 1/2 he's got some pretty good mass and I would bet he gets a little wider and picks up a little bit more mass. I just haven't seen that many younger deer with that type of mass do much. If he had that frame and had a spindly rack I'd say definitely let him go another year. That's just me.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    isnt that the whole point of a "cull?" the antlers dont amount to much year after year? he doesnt look old with short legs and a sway back. he's got a winter coat but...
    whats your fucking point, i guess is my question.
    He also has round eyes, a skinny face, and no brisket. My guess, and it’s just a guess, is that he is 2.5 or 3 and will be much better next year.

That being said, I like venison smoked and summer sausage and seared back straps .
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I think the biggest factor not being mentioned Is location. Does this deer live in the low country around a bunch of agricultural fields and I have the opportunity to soybeans every night during the summer? Or is he living in Timber country where he is licking on the side of a pine tree And eating Liam's office cedar tree in the month of February because the corn piles have went away?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post

This ain't Kansas

Looks part Piebald....

5.5 for the dwarf buck

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    C040BDC7-3A1F-4946-BF47-F35B8FC5267B.jpg

How about this one? Basket rack with nubs for brow tines.
    My little nephew says if it’s got a basket put it in a casket

3.5…no brows. The average man can try his entire life to improve the genetics of the deer on his land in SC without ever seeing any improvement, so if he doesn’t crank your scooter this year, see what he looks like next year. Regardless, on most peoples tracts, there will be a bruiser or two with great racks seen/killed over many years, there will be a bunch of 120” 8pts killed over many but fewer years, and there will be a bunch more smaller than that that’ll never score worth a flip. It’s the subspecies. I know it can be done in modest degrees on huge, highly controlled tracts where money is no object. So, shoot what makes you happy, and go to the Midwest every November if you want to kill something 140” or better on any kind of consistent basis.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    3.5…no brows. The average man can try his entire life to improve the genetics of the deer on his land in SC without ever seeing any improvement, so if he doesn’t crank your scooter this year, see what he looks like next year. Regardless, on most peoples tracts, there will be a bruiser or two with great racks seen/killed over many years, there will be a bunch of 120” 8pts killed over many but fewer years, and there will be a bunch more smaller than that that’ll never score worth a flip. It’s the subspecies. I know it can be done in modest degrees on huge, highly controlled tracts where money is no object. So, shoot what makes you happy, and go to the Midwest every November if you want to kill something 140” or better on any kind of consistent basis.
    You mean like these7F7482DE-3901-4451-ADA3-52A9FFA70E21.jpgD64B7645-CA69-4627-8A34-0528465E73C8.jpg