Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Welding

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I'd been wanting to learn to weld for years and picked up a little MIG machine from someone on here a couple years ago. It has saved me a lot of money being able to fix my own stuff and make improvement/alterations to tractor implements, etc. A few months ago, I picked up a small multi/TIG machine from Chessbay and I am having a lot of fun learning to TIG. Most things that I do with the TIG I could do with the MIG but I can be more precise with the TIG. There is a bit more learning curve with TIG.

I almost never use flux core MIG but my friend who is a real welder says you can get better penetration with flux core wire and gas.

MIG requires mixed gases, different gases for carbon steel, aluminum or stainless. TIG uses straight argon for almost everything.

If you plan to do any serious aluminum welding, MIG units have a hard time feeding aluminum wire through the hose/lead from the main unit so you'll end up needing a spool gun.

Many of the small units can run 110 or 220 with an included adapter.

You need a unit that will do AC for aluminum but DC for most other stuff.

I completely skipped the stick welding part. I can do it but the welds are so ugly I prefer to take the time to clean and prep and do it MIG or TIG.

I'll echo what's already been said, get a bigger tank than you think you'll need. Remember to budget for the tank because it isn't cheap.

Get a good 4.5" grinder. You'll be using the grinder more than the welder.

Get a GOOD auto hood. I had a Northern Tool hood and finally upgraded to a Hobart and the difference is considerable.

There are also some nice aids that make stuff easier, like clamps, magnetic square blocks, special welding pliers and good gloves.
    Good advice there Palmeto Bug. Might also want to throw in a set of leather welding sleeves if you are doing a lot of position or overhead welding.

Mig wire fed w/ gas