Thread: That quarry

Default That quarry

Happened again. If you have kids coming down from Clemson or kids at Carolina, please tell them to travel in packs at night. Lone kids are like a dove on a line to a certain element of our society...

Police find unidentified body while searching for USC student who went missing

BY NOAH FEIT, LUCAS DAPRILE, AND CHRIS TRAINOR
    NOVEMBER 22, 2021 4:19 PM

Police have found a body while searching for a University of South Carolina student who never made it home Saturday night. The body was found Monday at Vulcan Quarry in Richland County, said Columbia Police Department Captain Earle Marsh.

The body has not been identified, but was found while police were searching for a missing person. Michael Benjamin Keen called his father Saturday night and said he was about to walk home from J’s Corner Restaurant & Bar, according to police. That’s on Rosewood Drive, near the South Carolina State Fairgrounds and Williams-Brice Stadium, where the Gamecocks beat the Auburn Tigers Saturday night.

J’s Corner is about a 3-5 minute walk from Keen’s residence, police said. Columbia Police Deputy Chief Melron Kelly said officers canvassed in their search for Keen on Sunday, then continued that search on Monday.

Around midday Monday, local police called for State Law Enforcement Division to fly over the area in a helicopter. “As soon as the pilot got over the area, he saw what he thought was a body at the bottom of the quarry,” Kelly said. The deputy chief said officers headed to the bottom of the quarry on four-wheelers. Kelly said it was confirmed to be a body in the quarry, but that body was not identified as of 3:52 p.m. Monday.

Kelly noted the quarry is in the unincorporated area of the county, and that the Richland County Sheriff’s Department was in charge of the scene. USC student Michael Benjamin Keen was reported missing by the Columbia Police Department.

Before he went missing, the 22-year-old Keen told his father his cellphone was dying, according to police. Keen’s father has not heard from his son since that call and reported him missing Sunday, saying he’s concerned for his son’s well-being and safety, according to police. Police did not say if foul play is suspected in Keen’s disappearance, or if he should be considered in danger. “He would’ve absolutely contacted us today,” Keen’s mother Janet told The Daily Gamecock. “He calls every day.

None of his friends have had any contact with him.” Police said the 6-foot-1, 180-pound Keen was last seen wearing a green jacket, a polo, jeans, and a baseball cap that said “Cocks.” He had used alcohol, according to an incident report. Keen is a senior majoring in finance in the Darla Moore School of Business, USC spokesman Jeff Stensland told The State. Keen is scheduled to graduate in December, according to The Daily Gamecock. Anyone who has seen Keen, or has information about him, is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 888-CRIME-SC or submit an online tip.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

Nauseating.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Dammit. Hate to hear this news. Between 2007 and 2010…can’t remember exact year, my wife was out jogging in a very nice area of Shandon before heading to work, and some POS tried to abduct her. He pulled up in his car and tried to get her to come closer asking her for directions, and when she realized it was a bad scene and started away, she saw him opening his door to get out of the car. She hailed Ass screaming and started Beating on doors, and the guy hauled ass. There are some straight evil beings out there. Do not walk around any city alone unless you are “prepared” to do so.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

My heart breaks for his parents and family. As a parent, I can't fathom having to go thru something like this

2nd person to “fall” into that quarry with in a year….seems fishy

Evil is present everywhere, all the time. I cannot imagine what his parents must be feeling.

Is foul play suspected? The guy who died earlier this year was seen jumping over the fence, iirc.

Olympia quarry has had two people be found in the quarry plus they had a fatality last October where a haul truck ran over a company pick up killing the driver.

Such a sad situation.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Sad situation. This type of thing, along with my own experiences, have me planning a less traditional approach to educating my kids on alcohol.

“where the Gamecocks beat the Auburn Tigers Saturday night.“

Classy, State.

Chuck, what happened to the first one? I can't remember and would hate to besmirch the good names of the resident muggers who may have been innocent...

Prayers for the family.

If that’s an active quarry, shouldn’t there be surveillance cameras?

Quarry are dangerous places even for those who are supposed to be there, loose rock, cliffs, water, holes, and machinery. Usually a fence too.

First one was I think trying to take a short cut route home?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Sad situation. This type of thing, along with my own experiences, have me planning a less traditional approach to educating my kids on alcohol.

“where the Gamecocks beat the Auburn Tigers Saturday night.“

Classy, State.
    I guess butt-hurt abounds, particularly if you're actively seeking it...
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Chuck, what happened to the first one? I can't remember and would hate to besmirch the good names of the resident muggers who may have been innocent...
    Like swamp rat mentioned he was trying to take a short cut home and went through the quarry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    If that’s an active quarry, shouldn’t there be surveillance cameras?
    Cameras can't see every inch of a property. Most quarries have fences up but it doesn't mean they are maintained or gates accidentally left open or fences don't include all of the property.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Quarry are dangerous places even for those who are supposed to be there, loose rock, cliffs, water, holes, and machinery. Usually a fence too.
    Been around quarries for over 22 years and the things I've done when I was younger, I wonder how I didn't get hurt.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

There's a damn fence around it. With warning signs. The pics I saw had a tall fence with angled barbed wire on top. If you get over that in the dark and fall in, you have to accept the responsibility for what happens.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    There's a damn fence around it. With warning signs. The pics I saw had a tall fence with angled barbed wire on top. If you get over that in the dark and fall in, you have to accept the responsibility for what happens.
    Vulcan will still end up paying a settlement. Its a really sad scenario for all involved. SR I agree with you 100% but that's not the world we live in unfortunately.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

No fowl play suspected?