Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decoy backpack

Default Decoy backpack

Anyone know of a compact-ish backpack that would hold 6 decoys, water bottle and other small odds and ends? I have one of the mesh decoy bags now and it hangs way too low. I walk through the worst shit I think you could ever have to walk through to get to the hunting spot. By the time I get in and out the bag hangs on every branch and stick in the swamp and does nothing but piss me off. I hunt by myself mostly and would be pleasant to have something comfortable to walk with. I've seen a few things online but cant really tell how big they are before spending money on something that won't work out. Thanks for any insight!

Get you a regular backpack for your essentials and carry the decoys texas rigged on a clip over your shoulder.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Have you thought about a small decoy sled instead? It gives me something to hold onto while wading in some pretty rough spots and holds all I need it to.

There is so much dead fall in the water you pretty much have to walk with a stick to keep from going down. I use the mojo pole. Its almost impossible to not have both hands free and be able to walk. Think it would just be easier to have everything together in one pack. I really debated on just leaving them in there the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate lab84 View Post
    Have you thought about a small decoy sled instead? It gives me something to hold onto while wading in some pretty rough spots and holds all I need it to.
    Some other guys that hunt out there use one of these. I thought about that. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try one but there are some really tight places. REALLY brushy

https://www.amazon.ca/Viking-Sport-9.../dp/B000ZKPHDU

I have used one of these for a good number of years now...floating decoys to dragging stuff around the yard

ETA: I also used some of the packable decoys with good success, so that may be a viable option depending on how large a spread you are working with.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 11-22-2021 at 10:54 AM.

You need inflatable decoys.
    DILLIGAF

I would think an "old school" Army rucksack/Alice Pack with or without the metal frame would hold what you are needing no problem. Could probably pick one up online or at an Army/Navy store depending on your location.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Surp...371234958&th=1
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 11-22-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Buy you a trappers pack basket.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    There is so much dead fall in the water you pretty much have to walk with a stick to keep from going down. I use the mojo pole. Its almost impossible to not have both hands free and be able to walk. Think it would just be easier to have everything together in one pack. I really debated on just leaving them in there the other day.
    one of the best cussings ive ever thrown came tripping on an underwater obstacle and reaching out for a downed tree branch only to have it break and completely submerged myself. walking with a support pole is a game changer

Second the sled. They drag rather effortlessly and hold decoys, stools, and cased guns. Can't tell its behind you when it floats.

I have the Jet Sled JR. Its perfect for what you are talking about.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I've got one of the Banded backpacks that I will use for a few of my walk-in spots. Holds 4 decoys and a jerk string perfectly.

Dakota packable decoys and a decent back pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi my name is Ricky Bobby and if you don't chew big red then f**k you

If its private I would haul those 6 out there one time and stash them.

Take one decoy on a jerk string.

Get a decoy poncho

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Get a decoy poncho
    Didn’t know those were a thing. Pretty hilarious looking.

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonjosh View Post
    Didn’t know those were a thing. Pretty hilarious looking.

Interested in looking cool or killing animals?

Haha just kidding. They are effective. The spot where I have used them with a buddy is 1.5mi each way walk. It would be miserable without them.
    Last edited by scdiver; 11-30-2021 at 06:05 AM.

A friend from Washington state gave me one exactly like you're talking about - it was perfect and I literally wore it out. A couple of important things: 1) The straps were at the bottom of the bag so the decoys don't hang down and bump your legs when walking, 2) it had two zippered pockets that were perfectly big enough for a very large thermos - it was perfect for carrying a lot of water, 3) it had several built in D rings to hang things and a built-in duck carrier and 4) the back was foam padded to keep the decoys from digging into my back. Western Washington hunters do a lot of walk-in hunts and some local guy designed the bag. I don't recall that it had any tags or name brand.

But, you can find a bag you like and add backpack straps like this and sort of make your own...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078VZXDM5...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.