Thread: First of Firsts

Default First of Firsts

I took a new guy at work this morning. His first duck hunt. Had a couple woodies come through right after shooting time. I knocked one down but lost him in the grass. About 30 minutes later, a solo duck came drifting over the spread. Before I could say anything, he shot and took it down. As I saw it fold up and hit the water, I knew what it was. He started asking and I told him a Merganser. He was like, are they good? I laughed and told him he got a great first bird. A damn Pintail! Not a bull sprig but a Drake pintail none the less. I still don't think he realizes how special that is around here. Saw no more birds after that.

20211120_070220.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

That’s awesome.

Very nice

That is what makes it Ralph.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I was on a hunt once where the newby shot a stud Can. I’m still pissed and still haven’t shot the first one!
    Go Tigers!!!

Very cool.

I had a morning on public water some years ago where I killed a couple early, then sat for at least 30 mins staring at empty skies... and all the sudden outta nowhere this pintail drake drops in the deeks like he was on a string. It was a beautiful site.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Nice!

Super! Congrats to him and you putting him on it!

Sometimes luck is on your side. I took Upstate Angler on his first duck hunt and first time he pulled he trigger it was a banded wood duck. Told him then you have no idea what you’ve done. I also killed two with one shot that morning. He thought I did it on purpose. I just let that roll for a while. My old yellow lab picked up that banded bird. Was the last retrieve he ever made. Sometimes it’s just meant to be.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Heck of a first bird, thanks for taking a new hunter out!

Reminds me of one of my friends first hunts with me. We went on a week long deer/duck trip to south Texas during Christmas break from college. Bull sprig floating above us and before anybody could say anything he pulled up and folded him. Unfortunately while we were there in late December in 2005, we’re showed up during a 2 week period of the season that pintails could not be lawfully harvested. Needless to say they were thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk