Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boundary line hunter

Default Boundary line hunter

Got a little issue on my place. Was scouting an area I haven't been to in a few years 2 weeks ago. Hardwood ridge (with no acorns) on the property line. Camo across a ladder stand about 5 fr off my property on an old barbed wire fence row looking straight back at our ridge. Strap had been busted but there weren't many leaves on the seat of platform and there was a seat cushion in there. Also the stand was kinda grown into the tree and pretty stable. As I looked around I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt as to what they were looking at but all they can really see is my hillside. Behind them is a bunch of privet and other brush you can't even see through. Through the brush on into their property is a cow pasture and the stand is only 50-75 yds off the pasture edge. I couldn't even see how they were accessing it unless they had a small goat path carved through the brush. The seat cushion wasn't secured so to see if it was still being used I climbed up and knocked the cushion to the ground to see if it made its way back up or if it was just an old set.

Fast forward to today I walk in carrying a stand back to the same spot. I know I'm close to the boundary but where I want to set up is about 50-75 yds off the fence line and I am facing away from the property line and that stand. I hang the stand and decide to go around there and check out the other stand. To my surprise the cushion had indeed made its way back into the stand.

Not sure as what to do. Their particular piece is owned by a older lady and I don't really want to get her involved because it will turn into a shit show and I don't really know any of the people that hunt her place but it is a really large parcel. I know technically they are ok because the stand is still on their land, however any shot those folks have at a deer out of that stand will be on my side. I don't really care to get the game warden involved and all that. What would y'all suggest? Others have mentioned leaving a polite letter on the stand and maybe I could put my phone number on there and we could potentially work it out. Just want to make it as least aggravating as I can for both sides.

And let me say I'm all for hunting boundary lines. With most timber properties I have that is usually where some of the only remaining hardwoods that are left but I would never set up like that and or shoot onto the other side. I wouldn't even put myself in that situation. Hell o the other side of my property I have a stand about 30 ft off the property line looking parallel down a timber change from a 10 year old cutover (on neighbors side) to open pines on my side. I can't even see into their cutover much less shoot into it. I'm set up overlook several major exit trials out of that cutover. Little bit different situation. Any help or advice would be appreciated
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

When I lived in uwharrie I put a ladder start near the line one summer. Went to the stand opening morning and it had walked off. I got the message. A few years ago I found a ladder stand on the line and I returned the favor.

If you want to go the nice guy route put up some posted signs in plain sight of the stand. If that don't work pick up the cushion, take a shit in the stand and replace the cushion. That should send a clear message.

So to be clear you are upset about someone possibly trespassing so you trespassed to investigate ?

If he’s on the right side of the line there is nothing you can do to stop him. If he crosses it and you catch him, press charges.

Nail a posted sign in the tree directly in front of his stand and he should get the message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Campbeller View Post
    So to be clear you are upset about someone possibly trespassing so you trespassed to investigate ?
    He said it was 5 ft from his property line. Standing 5 ft away he could see it all…. That being said if he walks 2 ft over I think that is over dissecting the situation.

To answer original question I would put your number on a tree 5 ft away

I had a similar situation on public land and was anticipating confrontation but instead after the guy called me he couldn’t be nicer and we texted back and forth that entire weekend hunt

Talking in through is the best way and start off positive. Could be a kid that doesn’t know the boundary…

I’d post a no trespassing sign as close to his stand (while on my property) as possible. I might even paint a few trees to mark the property line. It’s fine to hunt a property line but only if you are shooting safely onto your property. Doesn’t sound like this is a safe setup.

Only one person in this scenario has clearly broken the law. The other party “might” have.

Maybe he shoots your deer and after they’re shot they run downhill onto his property.

Ever seen a deer run uphill after being shot? I’ve killed a couple with their feet on somebody else’s land but died on public. It is what it is. I didn’t trespass.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    He said it was 5 ft from his property line. Standing 5 ft away he could see it all…. That being said if he walks 2 ft over I think that is over dissecting the situation.

To answer original question I would put your number on a tree 5 ft away

I had a similar situation on public land and was anticipating confrontation but instead after the guy called me he couldn’t be nicer and we texted back and forth that entire weekend hunt

Talking in through is the best way and start off positive. Could be a kid that doesn’t know the boundary…
    I gave the guy who hunts behind me my number one time Big mistake
    He wanted to swap field reports
    Last edited by Huntinjunkie; 11-20-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Maybe he shoots your deer and after they’re shot they run downhill onto his property.

Ever seen a deer run uphill after being shot? I’ve killed a couple with their feet on somebody else’s land but died on public. It is what it is. I didn’t trespass.
    Maybe not, but that is shitbird behavior.

Nail a large tarp between two trees directly in front of his stand
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Maybe not, but that is shitbird behavior.
    Eh buzz off moral purist. Nothing I did/still do was/is illegal.

Eh buzz off moral purist. Nothing I did/still do was/is illegal.
    Morals, common fucking sense, whatever you want to call it. Intentionally shooting onto someone else's property is shitbird behavior, for a number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Nail a large tarp between two trees directly in front of his stand
    Better yet a biden harris 2020 flag

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Morals, common fucking sense, whatever you want to call it. Intentionally shooting onto someone else's property is shitbird behavior, for a number of reasons.
    You want to know what’s even more fun? Calling a turkey through somebody’s private land and killing it as soon as it crosses the public line.

Even better when the landowner is hunting him too that morning and hears you shoot.

That’s just clean fun right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    When I lived in uwharrie
    Any decent deer up that way?

You want to know what’s even more fun? Calling a turkey through somebody’s private land and killing it as soon as it crosses the public line.

Even better when the landowner is hunting him too that morning and hears you shoot.

That’s just clean fun right there.
    Two totally different scenarios.

Now now. Yeah you’re kinda right.

But please do tell what us unlawful about setting up a stand on public, shooting a deer, climbing down and retrieving said dead animal on public ground. Now if I would have trespassed to get my arrow then yes that is shitbird behavior. You do have me there.

Questionable, eh, legal, yes. I hope you don’t have any fringe land

I think your inclination to leave a note is a good idea. Have a conversation and work it out.
    Carolina Counsel

Reason #37 people hate hunters. I’m not surprised people do this type of thing, but to openly admit to it on the internet. Good gracious man.