Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping Stocks

Default Swapping Stocks

Beretta sucks and won't stand behind the shitty Sako soft touch stocks so I got a stock from Boyd's.

I have some questions on swapping out the factory for a new stock.

Do I use any loctite on the threads when attaching the rifle to the new stock? If so, which one?
    Do I need to anything to the stock of just screw it on and go shoot it?

No loctite, make sure the barrel is floated and it might require bedding the action. I’ve gotten lucky before and didn’t have any issues and torqued it to spec. Definitely check what boyds recommends torquing the action screws to and do it, I’ve hit a wheeler torque wrench and it’s a Necessity IMO.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 11-19-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks. Just run a dollar bill down the barrel into the stock to check if it's floated?

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Thanks. Just run a dollar bill down the barrel into the stock to check if it's floated?
    Yes. The last Boyd’s I bought was good to go so I hope that’s your case as well.

Good to go. Just need to go shoot it.

Thanks for the help.

Mine was a perfect fit and really made a difference.

The barrel isn't touching the stock but the gap is different on the sides. Is this a concern?

IMG_2548.jpg
    Last edited by Geetch; 11-19-2021 at 05:05 PM.

I would have a good smith bed it.

So, I have another question. When I was throwing the factory plastic stock away, this piece fell out. There is not a place for it in the new stock. Any ideas if this is needed?

IMG_2563.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg

The barrel isn't touching the stock but the gap is different on the sides. Is this a concern?

IMG_2548.jpg

It could be a problem if it’s close enough to touch during recoil.

Edit: if it were me I’d hog it out to make sure to have plenty of room on that tight side. I had the same problem with a carbon fiber stock one time. Ended up hogging it out a little more and the accuracy tightened up dramatically. Just by looking at the picture, I would bet you’ll have touching of the barrel during recoil. The dollar bill trick doesn’t necessarily work on all stocks and barrels.
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 11-21-2021 at 07:56 PM.

So, I have another question. When I was throwing the factory plastic stock away, this piece fell out. There is not a place for it in the new stock. Any ideas if this is needed?

IMG_2563.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    that looks like your recoil lug. I'd not shoot the rifle without that on the rifle. Front action screw should attach it to action

I took it to a smith. That part is from the plastic stock and not needed in the new stock.

Going to have him get it right, bed it, lighten the trigger, and true the bolt.

^this is the correct move
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

That's a decision you won't regret. Tell us how she shoots.

I've taken a few rifles to different smiths over the years but this is the first one I'm aware of that shoots the rifle after he does his work on it.

He bore sights, goes to the range, shoots 25 yards, 100 yards, 300 yards, and then 600 yards if the rifle is 2MOA at 300. I told him the 600 yard isn't necessary since I don't shoot that but he said he does it to check his work since he guarantees it for life.

Barrel inletting tool will make short work of that stock issue. Done properly, it won't even need sanding.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I've taken a few rifles to different smiths over the years but this is the first one I'm aware of that shoots the rifle after he does his work on it.

He bore sights, goes to the range, shoots 25 yards, 100 yards, 300 yards, and then 600 yards if the rifle is 2MOA at 300. I told him the 600 yard isn't necessary since I don't shoot that but he said he does it to check his work since he guarantees it for life.
    That sounds like a fella who knows what's up.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Geetch, would you mind sending a pm with his info? I’m looking to have some similar work done and the guy sounds like he knows what he’s doing.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Geetch, would you mind sending a pm with his info? I’m looking to have some similar work done and the guy sounds like he knows what he’s doing.
    This guy is in Florida. We split time between SC and here.

There is a guy on here that tinkers with rifles. He has a pretty good reputation too.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.