Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Property Deer Population

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    No they aren’t. But post a picture of a 2.5 year old buck and the judgement will ensue from the righteous deer hunters. Most hunters are more judgmental and intolerant than liberals ever dreamed to be.
    Or you could keep it off the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    thanks for the entertainment guys.

y’all’s theories are hilarious.
    Enlighten us mosquito man
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Killing does to have more bucks is retarded. Killing does to bring different bucks and different genetics in is a better idea.

I've wandered about these 2 scenarios, and so far Dr Bronson Strickland hasn't invited me on the podcast as a guest yet so I guess y'all are the next best thing.

Scenario 1: behind my house. 70 acres. 100 acres next door. No real big tracts close by. 20 acres here, 30 acres there. When I first got the place there were 3 good bucks back here. All have been harvested. No good deer since and no real new bucks showing up. No real doe harvest except for the occasional vehicle incident. Wandering about my bucks born here and where they are going. My theory is they are born here, then at 1 1/2 their mamas give them the boot and make them relocate. How far are they going or being forced to go? 1/2 mile away with the possibility to come back during the rut when he's a 4-5 year old or is he going far far away? I have the same old prehistoric blockhead does since day one. You know the ones that will stand 200 yds down in the woods and blow at you at 10pm in June when you rolled the garbage can out. Being my place isn't surrounded by big acreage where will my new bucks that get the boot from their respective mothers come from? I feel like I need to kill does to shake up the genetics .

Scenario 2: Take my main tract in Chester. Almost 800 acres. Big woods, surrounded by more big wood, and then even more big woods. When my does kick their yearling bucks to the curb my neighbors will likely get them. Likewise I will get his yearling bucks. So the supply keeps replenishing. Of course doe family groups overlap but I'm talking very general here.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    I don’t want to kill more does to have more bucks. I want to kill more does to see more bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    QDM has sucked the joy out of many a hunter. No one is satisfied anymore unless you’re killing 125 inch plus bucks. I wish we could go back to being proud and excited to just be in the outdoors with your buddies.
    Dog hunting is calling your name- listen to the hounds- have fun- be happy- shoot a deer- eat good- repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    The 10-12 does to 1 buck. Mother Nature doesn’t work that way
    I understand that, but you're assuming that humans don't interfere with nature. If 'most' of the guys around here kill bucks only, it's no surprise to me to see 4 doe fawns, 1 buck fawn, and 6-9 does running around my little corner of the world with only 2-3 bucks coming through every few weeks. Last Wednesday there were 9 does, 4 doe fawns, 1 buck fawn, and one 8 pt buck chasing them all around in the wood lot next door and over to my place a good part of the morning.

What can I say? And, by the way, it was DNR who told me about 20 years ago that we had an 8-9 doe to buck ratio in this area. Since then, I've seen nothing but more does since I'm pretty much the only one who seems to take any. Beats me.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

It’s looking like my ratio is 9:0

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Explain
    If you’re going all out managing for big bucks, shooting a bred doe that could be carrying the next giant seems counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    If you’re going all out managing for big bucks, shooting a bred doe that could be carrying the next giant seems counterproductive.
    I understand the thought process but if you shoot her before she is breed it’s the same result

Of course. I'm referring to Raybird
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Dog hunting is calling your name- listen to the hounds- have fun- be happy- shoot a deer- eat good- repeat
    That’s what I grew up doing. I’m not aware of any decent clubs around me that are still going.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    You damn sure can
    ok. smartass.

no, he wont. wanna fight about it?

he has a very limited guest policy. and he's not shooting many does. how many would you venture he would need to kill, mr know it all?

that's right. a LOT. and he wont get there.
    others have said it, too. go fight with them.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Does are bred 12 months out of the year in SC. Scientific fact.
    hmmmm. follow the science? I am fairly confident that sc deer are bred in a few months time. granted, crazy things happen, but 85% or more are bred in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    thanks for the entertainment guys.

y’all’s theories are hilarious.
    very true

silliness
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.