Thread: Flood Mitigation Grant

Default Flood Mitigation Grant

Little Bro in Law bought a house in Charleston County earlier this year. It was disclosed to him that the house had received FEMA funds for repairs due to flooding, etc. he carries flood insurance, House checked out at inspection, etc. House is brick built on a slab. 3 bed 2 bath, prob 1650ish sq ft.
    Today he has a lady with Charleston County come knock on the door and tell him that his Flood Mitigation Grant is about to expire. Says they are giving a considerable amount via the grant to raise the house 7 feet, to remediate flooding.
    My initial thought was this was some sort of scam, but he sent me the letter and it is a Charleston County header and I looked up the lady on the county website.
    He is relatively young, my FIL passed away years ago, so he relies on me for this kind of stuff. I’m in the upstate, it don’t flood. I have no clue what this is or what course of action should be next in line. I would like to have an attorney look it over, and also determine why this grant that was supposedly issued to the previous owner was not disclosed prior to closing.
    Anyone offer a recommendation for an attorney in the area (West Ashley)? He is just out of the Navy on his first civilian job, so his immediate reaction is that he can’t afford an attorney. My rebuttal is that I don’t think he can afford not to have one.
    Thanks in advance.

The flood maps just changed in Charleston County. Could be to his advantage.

That's very interesting- i know many homeowners affected by the flooding, both natural and caused by developers filling wetlands- and also follow the news here- and have never heard of this grant before.
    And I am in construction here.

However- Charleston county did receive a large fema grant to buy out homeowners in flooded areas- like 35 houses.

I don't think he needs a lawyer- just take the letter to the Charleston Fema office and ask for help ASAP- they will help him.

After he gets good intel- he should probably contact his homeowners insurance agent about ramifications to his policy if/when he proceeds with the work.

There were many residents that had to pay to have their houses lifted to keep homeowners insurance- many were sold because the owners couldn't afford to lift.

I never saw them lift a slab house.

I would damn sure like to see a timelapse of someone raising a slab house. That would beat anything that has been on HGTV in the past twenty years. GL with flood insurance and the county, you will need it. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I know nothing about raising a slab house. Do know someone that just got similar money to raise a river house. Not sure what program was called, but it was legit. Think he ended up out of pocket a few hundred dollars total, and he said they were almost apologetic about it costing him that much. He is required to maintain flood insurance now though.

I would not attempt to raise a slab house. If the grant is enough to do that, just knock it down and build a new house. There is absolutely nothing built on that house that contemplates a scenario like this.

Appreciate it. I will keep up with what he finds out. I am with you all on raising a slab house. I don’t believe it’s enough to tear it down and rebuild.

Cantey can fix it
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

ersepton, shoot me a PM. I'm a State Floodplain Manager (private sector). Be happy to look into this further and provide any thoughts to your brother.

Quote Originally Posted by cwyatt View Post
    ersepton, shoot me a PM. I'm a State Floodplain Manager (private sector). Be happy to look into this further and provide any thoughts to your brother.
    Done. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Cantey can fix it
    I just own some liquor stores.