Thread: 4H Rabbits

Default 4H Rabbits

Ya'll talk to me about Rabbits.

My daughter is starting 4H, and given our suburban landscape, goats and bovines are not an option...so rabbits it is.

I raised meat rabbits (Rex's I think) back when I was in middle school but for 4H they're graded on different shit aside from how much meat there is.

I seem to recall the bucks were testy and the does were the more amenable ones or maybe it was opposite.

Breeds to consider? Sex? Any other tips?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

get a chicken
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Find a good " farm on the hill" in advance for when you get tired of them..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Sex? ?
    . I would probably consult the Sumter folks on the animal sex questions.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    . I would probably consult the Sumter folks on the animal sex questions.
    Noted, but have you ever been through Pelion?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Be prepared for multiples b/c they breed "like rabbits".

My daughter has two Rex crosses. Both male. Very docile. Stay clean on wire floor. That's all I got...

Rabbits are a great producer of worms for fishing under the cages. Rabbit shit worms is what we called em in Valdosta.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

my daughter ended up with a "rescue" rabbit. i think it was a dutch something or other. it was a male. fucker was mean. couldnt give him away. all he really did was eat, sleep, and shit....but was a complete dickhead when i tried to feed him or clean his cage out

so he went to the country. was hanging around a shed with plenty of shit to hide under for about a week. havent laid eyes on him in several weeks now. i imagine the local owl who lives 50 yards from the shed got his ass, but he would have had to been a badass...cause that rabbit wasnt a pussy and was big as hell

eff a male rabbit
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

How will the goat react?

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Default 4H Rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    How will the goat react?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 11-17-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    my daughter ended up with a "rescue" rabbit. i think it was a dutch something or other. it was a male. fucker was mean. couldnt give him away. all he really did was eat, sleep, and shit....but was a complete dickhead when i tried to feed him or clean his cage out

so he went to the country. was hanging around a shed with plenty of shit to hide under for about a week. havent laid eyes on him in several weeks now. i imagine the local owl who lives 50 yards from the shed got his ass, but he would have had to been a badass...cause that rabbit wasnt a pussy and was big as hell

eff a male rabbit
    Hahahaha

I do recall taking more satisfaction than was probably healthy in slaughtering a few of the bucks for the table.

There's no worm bed like a rabbit poop worm bed.

The goat is gone.

Years ago my sister had two rabbits.....that turned into 5,...then 10 She turned them loose in the back yard and they burrowed in under a large woodpile my dad had. Within a year there must have been 50 or more. They spread out over the neighborhood and at first the neighbors thought it was cool.

The complaints started coming when the ate almost everything growing on the neighborhood. My family had to pay people to trap the whole neighborhood.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-17-2021 at 08:06 PM.

yeah-what they said
    fuck a rabbit. esp a male.
    they will dig an entire village under your house before you know it.

Cantey cant even fix it.
    Get chickens.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Unless she’s just looking for a back up plan in case her future boyfriend doesn’t have a rabbit for her to live boil on his stove, I’d go with chickens.

Where you located? I got 2 Flemish giant males you can get. Very easy going temperament. I was planning on harvesting them next week, but if it will help you out, you can get them.

I'm in the midlands and travel east to Georgetown/Conway often.

I'd prefer chickens, but given the drahthaar rescue we took on has already wrung out one of the house cats...I feel like I can keep a rabbit safer than I can chickens. I have an electric fence I had planned on incorporating.