Thread: Speaking of Shamans

Default Speaking of Shamans

41 months in prison...

QAnon Shaman' Jacob Chansley sentenced to 41 months in prison for role in US Capitol riot

By Hannah Rabinowitz and Katelyn Polantz

Jacob Chansley, the so-called "QAnon Shaman," was sentenced to 41 months in prison for his role in the U.S. Capitol riot.

The Justice Department had asked for Chansley to receive a harsh sentence as a way to set an example among the Jan. 6 rioters, and prosecutors have positioned Chansley as emblematic of a barbaric crowd.

Since then, Chansley gained fame as the "QAnon Shaman," a figure known in the fringe online movement and for widely shared photos that captured him wearing face paint and a headdress inside the Senate chamber.

Judge Royce Lamberth has had Chansley held in jail since his arrest, despite his multiple attempts to gain sympathy and his release.

Other judges are likely to look to Lamberth's sentence as a possible benchmark, since Chansley is one of the first felony defendants among more than 660 Capitol riot cases to receive a punishment.

Pictures of Chansley at the Capitol went viral because of a bizarre appearance while leading others through the Capitol, shouting into a bullhorn. As one of the first 30 rioters inside the building, he made his way to the Senate dais that was hastily vacated earlier by then-Vice President Mike Pence, and left a note, according to his plea documents.

Chansley also carried an American flag on a speared flagpole, which prosecutors have characterized as a weapon.

Lamberth asked only a few questions — about Chansley's leaving a note for Pence and whether he knew of other threats to Pence's life coming from the crowd, and about his choices that day.

"He made himself the image of the riot, didn't he?" Lamberth said to Chansley's defense attorney. "For good or bad, he made himself the very image of this whole event."

Prosecutor Kimberly Paschall used several videos to show Chansley's entrance into the Capitol building and Senate chamber, yelling along with the crowd. "That is not peaceful." Paschall called his role in the mob "chaos" and "terrifying."

For more than 30 minutes, Chansley spoke to Lamberth about the impact jail has had on him, and the guilt he feels for breaking the law.

He said he was wrong to enter the Capitol on Jan. 6, and that he is not an insurrectionist or domestic terrorist.

Capitol PoliceCapitol Police officer indicted for obstruction of justice after helping Jan. 6 rioter
    His sprawling speech held the attention of the judge, as Chansley quoted Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and "The Shawshank Redemption," and described wanting to live his life like Jesus Christ and Gandhi.

"The hardest part about this is to know that I'm to blame. To have to look in the mirror and know, you really messed up. Royally," Chansley said.

"I was in solitary confinement because of me. Because of my decision. I broke the law ... I should do what Gandhi would do and take responsibility," he says. "There's no ifs, ands or buts about it, that's what men of honor do." He promised to never have to be jailed again.

"I think your remarks are the most remarkable I've heard in 34 years," Lamberth told Chansley, calling his speech "akin to the kind of thing Martin Luther King would have said."

But, Lamberth added, "what you did here was as horrific as you now concede," and he could not justify a shorter sentence.

After the riot and his arrest, Chansley asked then-President Donald Trump for a pardon. He also went on a hunger strike in an attempt to get organic food while in custody and spoke to "60 Minutes" from jail without permission. In September, Chansley pleaded to a felony charge of obstructing Congress' certification of the 2020 vote.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/watch-...ailer/38278422

Rioters literally occupied a section of a city, burned buildings to the ground, and destroyed countless livelihoods all across America the prior summer.

But there are 660 cases for entering one building, one afternoon.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

"But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

They dismissed the majority of the arrests in Charleston.

They gonna let him have that ridiculous Bison hat in the joint??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    They gonna let him have that ridiculous Bison hat in the joint??
    Yeah, it'll make it easier to hold his head still. Like a set of handles if you will.

My that was swift. Any illegals been sentenced ever?

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Rioters literally occupied a section of a city, burned buildings to the ground, and destroyed countless livelihoods all across America the prior summer.

But there are 660 cases for entering one building, one afternoon.
    A PUBLIC building at that.

With no weapons i might add. The only person that died that day was an unarmed woman.

And the ‘Insurrection’ was actually led by the FBI. Talk about injustice being done, damn… he’s a harmless cartoon character.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    And the ‘Insurrection’ was actually led by the FBI. Talk about injustice being done, damn… he’s a harmless cartoon character.
    It's his fault for pleading guilty. A decent lawyer, a not guilty plea, bail, and delaying the trial as long as possible would have been a better route.

Blaming it on the under cover fbi agent for convincing everyone to go in would be a good defense.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    It's his fault for pleading guilty. A decent lawyer, a not guilty plea, bail, and delaying the trial as long as possible would have been a better route.

Blaming it on the under cover fbi agent for convincing everyone to go in would be a good defense.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Right you are, on both counts.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'