Thread: Meat slicer recommendations

Default Meat slicer recommendations

I'm looking for a decent meat slicer to cut up semi frozen deer meat for making jerky. I dont need a 700$ unit but I want something that will last 10+ years so I'm not sure that a plastic 99$ unit will "cut it". I'd like to be able to debone a deer ham or three throughout the year, freeze them, then take them out every few months and slice them up for jerky.

Any brands I should look at? Any to stay away from? I used to think the Cabelas stuff was pretty good, but the reviews on all of the stuff in my price range arent any better than the hundred dollar amazon stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Buy the cheap one and treat them as disposable? If you got 1.5 years out of each one, you'd be ahead in 10 years over the $700 unit.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

We bought dad a cheap one many years ago and he's still using it a couple of time a year. I think we got it at Walmart. As a side note, he puts the meat in the freezer until it stiffens up - it makes it much easier to handle and the slices more uniform.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Check marketplace for some used commercial ones. I see hobarts for 3-500 all day.

I have one of these. Was my grandmother's. Paper work says 1964 I believe, and has sliced ham for every major holiday since(Thanksgiving, Christmas, new years, and Easter). Stores easy under the island with my grinder/stuffer/vac sealer, etc.
    Can still be found for sale.

Meat_Slicer_1.JPG.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    I have one of these. Was my grandmother's. Paper work says 1964 I believe, and has sliced ham for every major holiday since(Thanksgiving, Christmas, new years, and Easter). Stores easy under the island with my grinder/stuffer/vac sealer, etc.
    Can still be found for sale.

Meat_Slicer_1.JPG.jpg

This is a very helpful review. You reckon Granny remembers where she got it from? Would love to go check them out!
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Brand is Rival.

Weston has a couple of cheap ones and 20% off with a code I have on email
    Last edited by thawhacker; 11-17-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I ended up finding an LEM brand belt driven 8.5" for around $225. Seemed like a pretty decent middle of the road option between the 99$ bologna slicers and the $350 35lb units.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 11-17-2021 at 11:50 AM.