Thread: Winchester Model 70 SS Question

Default Winchester Model 70 SS Question

I did some horse trading and ended up with a 270 Model 70 with synthetic stock in stainless steel. Is there somewhere I can use the serial number to figure out just what it is? The guy I got it from said it was a weather warrior model but the stock doesn't match what they show online. You reckon Winchester would tell you what it is by the serial number if you called or emailed them?

I think Winchester could help with the model given the serial number. The model 70 you describe is the Extreme Weather SS. I think the weather warrior is a savage product.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    I think Winchester could help with the model given the serial number. The model 70 you describe is the Extreme Weather SS. I think the weather warrior is a savage product.
    The extreme weather SS has a bell and Carlson stock, not synthetic. I would call Winchester and see what they can tell you, I’m sure they’ve made several model 70’s with stainless barrels at various price points.

10-4 Thanks

Post a pic and prob can tell. May be a classic stainless. If so it will have a reg synthetic stock and may have classic stainless on the barrel. If it has fiberglass stock it prob the extreme weather
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

The extreme weather was a B&C fiberglass stock with a vented forearm. The had a stainless synthetic some years back IIRC that was a no frills gun with a standard lightweight synthetic stock. Is it a CRF or push action?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I bought a model 12 from a guy and there was somewhere online I could look up the serial number to find out what year it was made.

I called Winchester and they didn’t have a record of it so they said. I wasn’t aware they are owned by Browning now. They gave me the number to Cody Gun museum and told me to call them. I called but got an answering machine. I’ll try and post one of the pics he sent me. It’s the best I have right now. It looks like just a regular old synthetic stock to me. Nothing like the one on my Sendero. More like the ones on a regular 700 or Axis. I was thinking it was just a 700 Featherweight Classic. Attachment 70436Attachment 70436

Featherweight has a wood stock with a schnabel forearm.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

winchestercollector.org

Might be able to search the serial number on that site. Not sure if recently manufactured rifles are on the site.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

FN owns winchester and browning

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

That looks like a standard Classic Stainless from the pictures you posted. A Featherweight will have a step on the barrel just ahead of the action that sharply reduces the diameter. Follow the link below for more detailed information on the Model 70 Classic.

https://westernrifleman.wordpress.co...el-70-classic/

I have an Extreme Weather Model 70 that came with a non-vented solid synthetic stock. It is one of the Columbia, SC manufactured guns from the FN plant. It may well be a B&C stock. I had it rebarreled and found out that the barrel threads were not the standard Winchester pattern.... which dicked up the gunsmith's ability to true up the action. No matter - it shoots tiny groups.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen