Thread: 301 Processing

Default 301 Processing

Took a pig to them last week. Ask for the back straps to be cut in 1/2. Picked it up today and they had cut the back strap into 1” chunks. Basically unusable. Meat had visible hair in it through the packaging. Tenderloins were no where to be found. Ask for the Boston butt or shoulder roast and received some random big chunks of meat in unsealed vacuum bags full of air. Just an FYI if your thinking of using them not worth the $120 in my opinion. Sausage seemed packaged fine but will see what its like when I open it. Told the lady behind the counter and she basically shrugged and said sorry we process a lot of animals. No refund offered. All in all pretty disappointed.
    More Ducks, Less People

That hasn't been my result this year. But that does make me leery as I quit using them a few years ago because of similar issues. Tried them with one deer last year and was pleased enough to start back.

Seems like all the processors fall in a rut like this. Must be the same group of useless workers moving back and forth between different businesses.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I tried them. Wasn’t impressed. There were so many rumors going around years ago about not getting your deer meat that a local hunting show did an entire segment on them processing from start to finish. And in all fairness, I’ve never had them process a hog. Only deer. Lots of people do recommend them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a shame that a $8/$9 dollar per hour worker can ruin a fine man's business reputation. Steve is a stand up guy and runs a hell of a business. Personally, I've never had the first problem out of 301 and if I take something somewhere instead of doing it myself, that's where it will go. Sorry you had this experience and frankly it's surprising. There ain't a soul in any business that has employees, immune to the possibility of something like this happening. Unless or course, you're a one man operation and do everything yourself. Sorry you had that experience
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

If paying someone $9 hr right now expect them to ruin your business. You get what you pay for.

I used them last year for the first time and didn't have any issues. I think it's just workers getting in a hurry, not making excuses for them though.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckorBust View Post
    It's a shame that a $8/$9 dollar per hour worker can ruin a fine man's business reputation. Steve is a stand up guy and runs a hell of a business. Personally, I've never had the first problem out of 301 and if I take something somewhere instead of doing it myself, that's where it will go. Sorry you had this experience and frankly it's surprising. There ain't a soul in any business that has employees, immune to the possibility of something like this happening. Unless or course, you're a one man operation and do everything yourself. Sorry you had that experience
    While I do give most businesses a little slack right now with the labor issues, the problem still goes back to the owner. They have to make sure their employees are trained and are doing what they are supposed to do. For the most part, if you run into a crappy employee, their boss is equally crappy at not doing their job. They either haven't trained, incentivized, or fired them. People have bad days, but if your company has a reputation for crappy employees, it's 100% the owner's fault.
    Last edited by Remy; 11-15-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Used them twice several years ago. Underwhelmed. This year, I went with a friend to drop off and and then pick up a 160 lb ( weighed at check station) buck he shot while we were hunting together. He got less meat back than I got from an 80 pound doe ( also weighed at check station) using another processor.

I know everyone makes mistakes. Me included. What really rubbed me the wrong way abt the whole deal was the lack of trying to make it right. A simple what can we do to make this right would have gone a long way rather than not my problem attitude that I got.
    More Ducks, Less People

I've taken many hogs there. I get mine cleaned ,cut up, and wrapped. I take the straight to the Manor House.

I've never had a problem.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I don't know how processors stay open with the demand for immaculate and USDA prime quality meat at a dirt cheap price. If every employee was paid minimum wage and could cut and process twice as fast as me, I still can't make the numbers work even with an assembly line style operation.

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    I know everyone makes mistakes. Me included. What really rubbed me the wrong way abt the whole deal was the lack of trying to make it right. A simple what can we do to make this right would have gone a long way rather than not my problem attitude that I got.
    Yup, he should've gave you a few back straps from his private stock.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I don't know how processors stay open with the demand for immaculate and USDA prime quality meat at a dirt cheap price. If every employee was paid minimum wage and could cut and process twice as fast as me, I still can't make the numbers work even with an assembly line style operation.
    serious question you think cleaning a pig and cutting the whole thing into chunks as he eluded to in his post is dirt cheap price at 120 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Why should someone expect to get what they paid for? If you’re gonna do better work, by all means, charge for it. But if said shop is charging in line with everyone else then the work ought to be just as good

My comment wasn't referencing the pig or this processor (better experiences and cheaper prices for me there), just speaking in generalities. It seems time consuming and expensive to process deer or hogs well, and prices would be higher if I was running the show just to make ends meet. Sorry about your hairy loins, the processor I've used on the other side of town employs kids in squatted trucks, but they do a good clean job.