Thread: Revolver cleaning?

Default Revolver cleaning?

When your OCD get the better of you. How often do you clean your revolvers actions?

65853360425__4BEEA041-C44B-4FAB-AD07-8D6A84723673.jpg
    Last edited by mello_collins; 11-14-2021 at 01:58 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Never.

I love to take things apart and tinker.

That there gives me insane anxiety.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Seldom to never

Once. Then I put all the parts in a bag to take to the gunsmith for reassembly...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Once. Then I put all the parts in a bag to take to the gunsmith for reassembly...
    Did that with a 44 mag lever gun when I was about 18

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    I love to take things apart and tinker.

That there gives me insane anxiety.
    It is a basic smith style action. I am not brave enough to do an old colt this way yet.

I find it kind of fun, if frustrating at times. The roller bearings on the rebound slide ( i think that is what it is called) did give me fits.

All back together. Need to find time to do some light buffing and wax her up. And some affordable practice ammo. Might be a while before I get to try her out.

IMG_4222.JPG
    Last edited by mello_collins; 11-15-2021 at 10:28 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

A man has to know his limitations. Go ahead and carry to a smith.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Annually. 2,000 - 3,000 rounds of wadcutters and semiwadcutters will crud em up.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Stripped my brothers Super Redhawk down like that to Cerakote it. Kinda a pain, but not as hard as some of them. I always love a good challenge, as long as I'm not in a hurry.

Ive taken a redhawk apart and a few blackhawks. I had a ruger old army and now have a 58 Remington that requires complete breakdown to clean black powder residue off after firing. The remington is 10x easier to complete than the ruger hence it went down the road.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Mello_collins, "Do these grips make my ass look big?"

Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    When your OCD get the better of you. How often do you clean your revolvers actions?

65853360425__4BEEA041-C44B-4FAB-AD07-8D6A84723673.jpg
    I have taken down many a revolver...and my OCD is making me twitch just looking at the way you have all those parts spread out. Screws just lying around, the trigger and hammer assemblies all mixed together on a wadded up towel, and the mail and Toy Story stuff mixed in....YOU NEED A BIGGER WORK BENCH!! I couldn't take it...

yeah, that too.

You can always use my father-in-law's method, but I think it works better on his because it is stainless. He just takes off the grips and puts it in the top rack of the dishwasher...

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Mello_collins, "Do these grips make my ass look big?"

Seriously.
    HaHaHa... One handed bullseye grips. What it had on it when I got it in. I have the regular grips coming from over the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I have taken down many a revolver...and my OCD is making me twitch just looking at the way you have all those parts spread out. Screws just lying around, the trigger and hammer assemblies all mixed together on a wadded up towel, and the mail and Toy Story stuff mixed in....YOU NEED A BIGGER WORK BENCH!! I couldn't take it...
    Kitchen table and the screws are laid out in order, not quite that daft. ...

close though

I only do one pistol at the time.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 11-15-2021 at 10:29 AM.

I took the side plate off of one of my stainles K-frames and had a panic attack trying to put it back on without bending the seam between the frame and side plate. It will be a while before i try it again.

There's a knack to the side plates... both coming off and going back on.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I had my old Astra revolver holstered, and the dog flipped the kayak in February. Everyone and everything got submerged. I knew it'd need a good cleaning, and a trip to the gunsmith would cost more than the gun was worth. 4 hours later, I had all the screws, pins, pulleys, and gears collected (from being shot across the room) and back in place. I think I'll heat it up with a hairdryer and submerge in oil and hope for the best if that happens again.