Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for future young Hunter

If recoil is a possible issue- a limbsaver recoil pad really works
    I have 2 Benelli M1 super 90s- one fitted with a limbsaver, one without- shooting identical 3" mag buckshot back to back- the one with a limbsaver feels like a mild dove load

Ruger American Ranch COMPACT 350 Legend. Good out to 200-250 yards. Not as loud and feels like shooting a .22.

Since you reload, have you looked at a 6X45? 223 case necked up to 6mm, aka a 243 lite. Can be built on ar platform or a short action bolt.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamey29657 View Post

Her smile says it all. Want to keep her interested.
    Her words “daddy you and papa keep shooting, I’m gonna start shooting em myself really soon”.
    “Daddy don’t go to work I wanna go to the farm and go hunting “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kudos to you for thinking this through. I was going to suggest a 7mm-08 with Reduced Recoil loads (I've got some I'd share with you if you were going to start soon and couldn't find any). However, after seeing how small she is, as light as I might think the RR loads are, they would surely do some possible shoulder damage to someone as small as she is.

I'm not familiar with the 6.8, et al, and that might be a great choice, but starting some target practice with an AR-15 and then zeroing in with 64-75 grain loads (both 64 and 75 grain Speer Gold Dots) just might be the ticket in the short run.

I'd also pick up one of the shoulder recoil pads that you strap on. Added to a good recoil pad on the rifle it makes a world of difference to the shooter.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I'd look for a youth .223 or .243 bolt action rifle.

Seeing her size a 6X45 would be less recoil than a 6.8spec

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

What about a .357 rifle? I have a pistol cartridge carbine and it is my favorite. Putting out corn or checking new spots, it rides along. Short, compact and pretty accurate out to a 100 yds. Mines a .44 and it looks like you hit em with an axe. I believe it would kill Godzilla if you hit him with it.

Mike.

A suppressed 6.8SPC is virtually zero recoil and very little noise, heck my suppressed Begara in 6.5 recoils about like a .223. Tons of options. Get her a Cricket .22LR to start with, it’s small framed and she can learn. Hold off on the shotgun until she’s gotten use to the noise and milder rifle recoil. You can work up but bad habits from going to far initially will follow for a while.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Thanks for the input and recommendations. I will expand my research on this. I have a little time to figure it out. Maybe even find a few of the mentioned options to look at or try out if anyone in the upstate is willing to help me out.

Like I mentioned in earlier post she has no hesitation in pulling the trigger on her little Rascal .22.
    I do have her a little pump .410 and some 2.5” TSS loads. Depending on how the next year and a half goes with her shooting abilities with the .22 I’m thinking maybe spring 2023 she be almost 5
    We may attempt a Turkey with a tripod rest. Planning for a red dot sight just like her .22 and her first shot from the .410 May be at a Turkey. That’s a good ways away and will look more into that decision in the future.

Main reason for this thread was for the info I got for options to look into for a rifle. May be overthinking it but like to plan ahead especially with the way firearms and ammunition is at this time. Who the hell knows how much worse it may get.

My best advice is to ask someone that really knows everything. He’s on your shift at work. Sherman is an expert on kids shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksmoker View Post
    My best advice is to ask someone that really knows everything. He’s on your shift at work. Sherman is an expert on kids shooting.
    Well I’ll be!!! That’s some funny stuff right there. You better get to work.
    You got any suggestions or better yet some to try out that you went thru with your girls?
    I know they some serious killers.

7.62x39 bolt action may be an option. Howa and CZ sell bolt actions in this caliber. Not sure if CZ still sells the youth model. I have the CZ 223 scout version and it is pretty slick. Started my boys with it. Oldest son dropped his first buck DRT with it from about 80 yards. But I started to doubt it that could be done consistently so I moved to a slightly larger caliber.

Howa also has bolt action .223, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel and 350 Legend bolt actions in a light weight composite chassis that has an AR style adjustable buttstock that drops LOP down to 12.5” if you remove the folding stock adaptor. I have the regular stocked version and it is a laser in 6.5 Grendel. I held the composite chasis version and it was pretty light.

https://www.howausa.com/rifles/mini-excl-lite/

My kids have a Ruger American Compact in 308. It has a brake on it and they have killed a ton of stuff with it. Zero issues for my 7 year old. He has killed 7 animals with it this year.

The 308 helps you as a parent because it’s shooting a 168 grain ttsx and not something you will be looking for deer all night with.

6BCED41C-F1C2-4B26-A0C5-538CC4B73B6F.jpg
    Last edited by lil 2 sleepy; 11-15-2021 at 07:06 AM.

Remington youth model 7 in 7mm-08.

My 7 yr old started shooting my old youth model Browning A-bold 243 this year. Pretty much no recoil. I killed my first deer with it. Hopefully he'll get his this year. He's awful selective though. No doe and no "baby bucks" as he calls it.

My old man started me off with a single shot .243 I killed a many as a small boy with it. Nothing wrong with a .243 put it in the right spot and it'll kill em just as dead as a .300mag