Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keys or Venice

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    Go to keys that time of yr and just focus on inshore, backcountry, tarpon etc. Go to venice around oct and get 9n big yellowfin behind shrimp boats. Problem solved?

Didn't read any of the responses, but answering any way other than Venice is madness.

Fair amount of experience with both places. Heavier to the Keys. Enjoy both places for different atmosphere and people..

That said, if dollars to pounds of edible fish ratio is the deciding factor - Venice. In late Sept or all of October. Sight fishing to Blackfin and giant YFTs is hard to beat. Catching the boat limit on BFT is a great warm up. Pitching a bait to a big Yellowfin and watching it get eaten is hard to top. They are there in numbers, readily caught and superb table fare.

Venice in the Spring can offer some really great offshore as well with Wahoo, Dolphin and a big Billfish if lucky. We have over time stuck with the fall fishing there as it's cooler weather, flatter seas and the experience of sight fishing Tuna. It's a hell of a fun trip. If you are taking children, they can get beat up by the BFT and have fun. Catching a big YFT will probably cut their ass - they will whip a grown man ... I only want to catch one per day. Hahahaha

Hard to pick a favorite as both destinations offer some good memories to be made.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Didn't read any of the responses, but answering any way other than Venice is madness.
    Please elaborate

YFT's, wahoo, dolphin and bills pretty-much year-round. Limit-out on snapper in 15 minutes. Spot-tail and trout fishing inshore are as good as anywhere on the planet. I've personally done these things in Venice.

Keys has "poons" (rad saltwater lingo) and snook inshore, and sails off, but it's nowhere near Venice. Obviously, just my opinion.

One of my employees lives in S LA and said they were hammered by the last hurricane and can't imagine fishing being worth a damn. Spring it may recover. I hope so b/c I have a June trip planned.

YFT Picture.jpg

Sorry for the size of the picture. At that time, I was like 285, and I'm 6'3. I was too tire too "push" that thing for the pic. Can't find them things don in the Keys.

Hell yeah!!!

I find that after boating one, it's time for beer and a beanbag to rest upon.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Good eats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Looking at that photo reminded me that the men on either side have passed on.

F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Hell yeah!!!

I find that after boating one, it's time for beer and a beanbag to rest upon.
    That and it is always nice to give the poor fucker that had to reel it in a beer, too...

Hold on, Black Bart is black?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Good eats

Is that John Daly?

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Is that John Daly?
    Naw. The late "Big" Steve Smith. Next to the still alive Captain Reverend Shepherd.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Good eats

Absolutely, brother. Baggin' up them loins into the cooler is one of the best feelings in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Duh. Says it right there in his handle.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    One of my employees lives in S LA and said they were hammered by the last hurricane and can't imagine fishing being worth a damn. Spring it may recover. I hope so b/c I have a June trip planned.
    Fishing nearly universally improves after a major hurricane every place I have lived, I would bet most on here who fish inshore frequently around the Gulf and SouthEast would agree.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    Fishing nearly universally improves after a major hurricane every place I have lived, I would bet most on here who fish inshore frequently around the Gulf and SouthEast would agree.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Indeed. Joe Biden may refer to me as "clean and articulate".