Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost

This is part of the letter that I got from Ford a week or so ago.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Of course, I have 79,5XX miles on my truck, so I'll be out of pocket for a third of the cost to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Rattle on cold start up plus check engine light.

New chains, guides, tensioners and intake valve de-carboned.

Attachment 69852

Attachment 69853

Attachment 69854

Attachment 69855
    KRT,
    Is there a make/model built in last decade or so that doesnt have these issues? Seriously considering buying an older truck and dropping a new engine in it to get away from the "improvements"

What about the 17 and up 3.5s. They added port injection to help with the build up and supposedly beefed up the timing chain components as well. I know they’re still a bit newer but have you seen the same issues in those yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    What about the 17 and up 3.5s. They added port injection to help with the build up and supposedly beefed up the timing chain components as well. I know they’re still a bit newer but have you seen the same issues in those yet?
    Mine is a 17.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    This is part of the letter that I got from Ford a week or so ago.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Of course, I have 79,5XX miles on my truck, so I'll be out of pocket for a third of the cost to fix it.
    I got the same letter for my 2019.

So, is the general consensus with KRT to get the 5.0 engine? I’m potentially looking to trade or sell my crew cab GMC 1500 and go to a Ford crew cab
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    So, is the general consensus with KRT to get the 5.0 engine? I’m potentially looking to trade or sell my crew cab GMC 1500 and go to a Ford crew cab
    I traded my 2013 3.5 ECO for a 2021 5.0 SuperCrew. Very satisfied so far. They gave me a lot more money than I expected on trade. I ran the piss out of that ECO.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I traded my 2013 3.5 ECO for a 2021 5.0 SuperCrew. Very satisfied so far. They gave me a lot more money than I expected on trade. I ran the piss out of that ECO.
    Any regrets with the loss of performance- my wife has a 2020 with the 5.0 and i think it's excellent

Kevin- what's the rough cost on the timing chain. guides, water pump job, my nephew from Bowman will need his done on his 3.5 EB soon

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Any regrets with the loss of performance- my wife has a 2020 with the 5.0 and i think it's excellent
    Eco was a little quicker. Same HP rating roughly. I am getting a little better mileage with the 5.0 ( that is not a real concern). The new FX4 has a bunch of stuff on it that I have yet to decide if it's needed. It has a giant screen control center which is nice. Accident avoidance technology is comforting at first impression. Will have it leveled and upgrade the tires soon.

Overall, I like the 5.0 better. No sunroof on the new one which I like. Solid truck for sure. No way I will ever buy anything but Ford trucks.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Just for curiosity sake, would an additive help with the carbon build up? 20 some odd years ago I had twin direct injected OBs(Yamaha 200 HPDIs) and I ran Yamaha's Ring Free to help with Carbon build up. Not sure if it worked or not but I put 700 hours in three years on them with no problems. You think steady maint treatments do anything to help alleviate some of the buildup?

ETA: I don't own and never will, just more curious of the mechanics perspective of additives and the likes. Are they useful or just snake oil?
    So let’s think about this….

The answer is no and not possible. Direct injection mist fuel directly into the cyl’s where conventional injection sprays fuel over intake valves when they are open.

Hence why direct injection engine intake valves carbon up
    Last edited by KRT; 11-02-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I would go 5.0 all day
    More fuel = more boost!!

It didn't help. Mine had the same issue. They still took it on trade though.

We’ve done several 17’s as well. Actually done one for Golden Motors not long ago that was a late model 2017
    More fuel = more boost!!

I traded my '17 3.5 for a '20 5.0. They gave me good money even with a know cam phaser issue. So far I have been very pleased with the trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I've seen no noticeable differences from my 3.5 to the 5.0. I like the 5.0 better.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    So let’s think about this….

The answer is no and not possible. Direct injection mist fuel directly into the cyl’s where conventional injection sprays fuel over intake valves when they are open.

Hence why direct injection engine intake valves carbon up
    Appreciate the education!

I quit working on my vehicles when they quit putting carbs on top the manifolds....the days of an engine only needing one wire with 12v to run are long over.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 11-02-2021 at 03:42 PM.

But seafoam or any other additive in theory will clean or help maintain clean injector nozzles
    Last edited by KRT; 11-02-2021 at 06:10 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

V-8 all day long, regardless who makes it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"