Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV for back porch?

Default TV for back porch?

Wanting to put a tv on my back porch. 20x40 area under roof. No direct weather. How long you reckon a regular tv would last out there? Or is it worth the $ for an actual outdoor tv? They are pretty dang pricey
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I bought a cheap HiSense Roku tv 2 years ago for my back porch(probably close to the same sized covered porch as yours). Never used a TV cover or anything and it’s perfectly fine. I don’t have quite the humidity here as you will, but ambient temps are pretty damn similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

It’s worth considering going to Sam’s, Costco, BestBuy, etc. and purchasing an open box item. They are typically good deals that should last a while based on the conditions you described.

That's kinda what I figured. Sam's has always been my go to. My thoughts were to buy a "cheap" inside tv and a cover and may get enough years out of it. When/if it goes out then get another one. Unless I see a pattern where they don't last long at all
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

TVs are cheap. Outdoor TVs are not. I’ve had normal TVs on 2 different porches for several years with zero issues. If they go bad just go buy another. But they won’t go bad for a long time

I’ve got a Samsung in this setup right here. It’s only been in there for a few months.

My friend in electronics told me to just get the more cost effective TVs, then replace when it breaks.

The outdoor tvs will last longer but for the difference in price will probably work out better with less expensive ones.

While its not outside per se, I have a 55" TCL in the garage. Been there for 4-5 years now. Got it form Costco for ~$300. Its still as good as the day it came home. I've gotten way more out of it than what I spent on it.

I’m planning to build a wood box like above and put the cheapest TV I can find in it. From what I can tell it’s the best thing to do unless you got money to burn

Mine is in a wood box also and works great.

We got a Hisense on the porch for about 2 years. It don't weigh nothing so when it looks like rain just unplug and tote it in the house. The wife can handle it easy
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Get whatever size TCL Roku TV you need from sams and a waterproof outdoor tv cover off of amazon and itll never know its outside. replace when needed. I did one of those hang from the ceiling swivel mounts off amazon as well. Hasn't let me down this football season

i'm a cheap bastard and I have a regular old POS cheap ass tv that sits atop my fridge in the shed and gets rained on and such.
    damn thing works just fine.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Like stated above get a regular tv and move forward. They’re 300.00 dollars. You could buy one every year. People spend as much or more on a deer stand than a tv anymore. I’ve had one on my screened in porch for years. Never got around to buying the cover. Off brand tv before they were smart TVs lasted 8 years. On year number 4 on second one. Neither one ever covered.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

I've got a Vizio 55 outside under cover and it's been there for 3 years now. On Sale it was like $350 maybe, if not less. Do NOT put a Plastic Cover over it though. That holds the Moisture under there, during Temp Changes. Mine is just hanging on the wall.

if you put it in a box, get a desiccant pack and put in the box to absorb moisture.

it will last as long as the one in your house.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

A regular TV will be fine if it wont get wet, but from my experience you don't get enough brightness out of an indoor tv. I tried that route but ended up buying a Sun Bright outdoor tv. In my opinion, if you want to watch tv outdoors during the day, it's the way tto go.

A standard TV will be fine outside as long as it out of the weather, you don't need to box it in. You do not want a SunBrite TV nor the price tag. I sell the things for a living, get an extended warranty on your $300 TCL for 30 bucks and your covered for 3 years.
    "run and gun guide service"

TCL is a really good, inexpensive TV.