Thread: Replacement Cables for Climbers

Default Replacement Cables for Climbers

So, I have been looking to replace some cables for a variety of climbers I have.

I am not seeing much out there. Anyone have a source? Are they brand specific? If so, that's pretty odd because most climbers are the same square tubing size.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I ordered some from Amazon last year
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I see some for Summit, and some that dont look like they'll work. Hence my product specific question. Figured this would be something folks would replace pretty often and there'd be more of a selection.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I've never had to replace any, but I would think that many would be brand specific, or at least need to use a specific 'type/style' of cable.

No?

What climber brands are you looking for?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 10-29-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Are they the link style for api? Or the cable with blocks like summit?

I just replaced the chains on my API grand slam, and my research showed that the 2040 or 2050 roller chain from tractor supply works. I still need to order new heat shrink for them, but for the time being I just wrapped them in black gorilla tape. Worked like a champ and a little heavier gauge than what came from the factory. Roller chain is about 1/3 price of the Amazon chain. Maybe beefier as well.

If you need a climber to get by until you figure it out holler.

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEGIRLS View Post
    Are they the link style for api? Or the cable with blocks like summit?

I just replaced the chains on my API grand slam, and my research showed that the 2040 or 2050 roller chain from tractor supply works. I still need to order new heat shrink for them, but for the time being I just wrapped them in black gorilla tape. Worked like a champ and a little heavier gauge than what came from the factory. Roller chain is about 1/3 price of the Amazon chain. Maybe beefier as well.
    Solid info. I change every 4 years or so.

Dick's Sporting Good have Summit cables in stock.

I have a variety of climbers. Mostly stuff I've picked up here and there. I walk in some thick places and leave them there for the season. Most of them have the blocks on the ends that you stick the pin through.

I like the idea of roller chain and wrapping it, but would need a safe way to add blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post

Dick's Sporting Good have Summit cables in stock.
    Will not step in that place

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I use the roller chain for the APIs too but I use clear tubing from lowes to cover it. It holds shape better for swinging it around the tree plus you can monitor the chains for rust.
    Downside to the Tractor Supply chain is it comes in ten foot lengths, where the original chains are close to 6 ft.

I cut the 10’ roller chains in half, and had a problem climbing a medium/small pine because I couldn’t get enough of the chain in the arm of the stand. Clear tubing is a great idea. Gorilla tape was a quick fix for an immediate need.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    On line.

China owns America now. They brought us Covid and we talk about the midget doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    He just goes there because he likes the name

Another middle school knee slapper. "Sharp as a bowling ball".