Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filson vs Tom Beckbe

Default Filson vs Tom Beckbe

Field Tin Cloth from Filson or the Tensaw Jacket from Tom Beckbe? If you have either of the two can you give me some pros and cons. Thanks

I have tons of Filson and love them all. With that said I Just bought a Beckbe Tensaw and I think it's my new favorite everyday jacket

I have the Filson and I have zero complaints. I have worn it to nice events and in a duck swamp and have nothing negative at all to say. I did get the vest wool zip in liner for very cold days and like that because it leaves my arms more mobile to swing a gun

Default Filson vs Tom Beckbe

I don’t know who Tom Beckbe is, but Filson has been making good shit and standing behind it for a long long time
    Last edited by trkykilr; 10-29-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

i think the new filson isn't of the same quality as the older stuff.

i was looking at a filson hunting coat last night, but the reviews online were saying how the plastic zipper was starting to fail after one season of use, and multiple reviews started that they were disappointed with the jacket compared to their older stuff.

i don't know anything about the tom beckbe brand, but i'd love to find a well made waxed canvas hunting jacket
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

The only Filson jacket I own is that newer duck hunting camo thing they made, I own a lot of their other stuff and love it though. I'm just not into their waxed jackets, they do run a tad large to size fyi. I've seen the Tom Beckbe stuff, it just feels too new age for me.

Filson tin waterfowler jacket is great...bomb proof, as they say in the biz.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Filson mossy oak shadow grass coat with the Henley guide sweater underneath and you’ll be a dry, warm, and happy hunter.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

If you're just looking for function over fashion, look at the drake mcalister jacket.

I have a the following- here's my take:

newer barbour- day to day wear, not mudblind/ wet-hunting- think LL Bean, soft, comfy, not going to take the long term abuse
    old filson - been through the ringer, salty, borrowed and beat up, still looks great
    newer drake mcalister- one season, It's wader jacket will continue to see the timber - closer to filson than the other.

Tom Beckbe appears to be somewhere between the filson & barbour.
    Last edited by BullJakeGrappler; 10-29-2021 at 01:31 PM.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

Hell that Henley Guide Sweater is 500 bucks the same price as the Tin Cloth and the Tom Beckbe jacket. I'm leaning towards the Filson, but the Tensaw jacket looks damn good. I kinda like the camo pattern they offer too

Filson Tin cloth is 14oz fabric. Looks like the Tom Beckbe is 8oz. That is all you should need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I love my tin cloth. Had it 4 years now and it has been through some shit... but you could never tell.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

I wouldn’t buy anything but filson. They stand behind their stuff.

I sent a completely ragged out pair double tin briar chaps to them over the summer, received back in two weeks in almost brand new condition and a handwritten note from the repair man.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    i think the new filson isn't of the same quality as the older stuff.
    I haven't had an issue, and I could break a anvil with a banana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

The only pieces I have that I love of Barbour that are younger than twenty or thirty years is a couple beat up vests and a Steve Mcqueen style quilted jacket. Simply because he was cool.

HS - the Beckbe stuff is made like the old Barbour jackets. Yes, he's gone very metro marketing with his product but the quality reminds me the most of the old Barbour coats you and many of us speak of.

I mean, I'm sure it's cool.. but my Solway is like 30 years old, and I doubt I'll replace it. And I've got an old waxed wading jacket that Barbour made. They used to make things geared towards hunting, not just Beauforts and Bedales that pair with Han Solos.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 10-29-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Filson.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Not sure who but somebody mentioned Drake/McCallister. I'd wear a pink tootoo with a polka dot tank top duck hunting before I'd buy any of that cheap bullshit.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

For the quilted lovers..

20211029_133653.jpg