Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife People

^^^ NOT what I wanted to hear. More variables...
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Here's the key. Don't let your knife get dull to the point of needing "Sharpening" After every use, check edge. Stropping is a key component of the edge maintenance equation. Keeping a knife "hair popping sharp" takes effort, but is not too difficult once learned.

Way easier to maintain a proper edge than starting over on a dull knife. Some people are best served with a knife with disposable blades. I personally don't care for them as I find the blades are fragile. However a dull knife truly is dangerous. Dont let the edge hit bone .. that will chip and dull a blade quick.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

This said, many production knife companies offer sharpening for a nominal fee. Any good custom maker will be pleased to sharpen and return your knife. I try to never put one back in the sheath that is less than sharp.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Here's the key. Don't let your knife get dull to the point of needing "Sharpening" After every use, check edge. Stropping is a key component of the edge maintenance equation. Keeping a knife "hair popping sharp" takes effort, but is not too difficult once learned.

Way easier to maintain a proper edge than starting over on a dull knife. Some people are best served with a knife with disposable blades. I personally don't care for them as I find the blades are fragile. However a dull knife truly is dangerous. Dont let the edge hit bone .. that will chip and dull a blade quick.
    Back in the dog club days members "paid" my uncle to sharpen their knives. This is what he would tell them.

Whenever he had to get an edge back on one he used a wet stone followed by a flat steel hone that I think he made, then a leather belt. I tried and tried to learn how to use a wet stone, but I just couldn't get the angle just right.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post

That pretty much sum it up right there. BB - all I ever use for carving knives is the Cape Forge strop/compound. Same for all my kitchen knives. As for my wife's kitchen knives, I usually have to use a couple of EZ-Lap diamond stones to clean up the nicks before finishing on the strop. Holler at me and we can set up a demo or walk you through it.

Any man with a Freeman orta just be hiring this sort of stuff out and worry about bigger things.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Any man with a Freeman orta just be hiring this sort of stuff out and worry about bigger things.
    Like using the edge of the bait tank lid as a strop??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

You mean a Freeman doesn't have a built-in knife sharpener right next to the margarita machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    You mean a Freeman doesn't have a built-in knife sharpener right next to the margarita machine?
    By God, they should. Limes can be tough to cut.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Get an Edgepro and your sharpening aggravations will be behind you. A Lansky is a good economical alternative if you have a parallel blade section you can clamp on to. If you are a steel junkie like me you have to have serious sharpening capabilities.

https://www.edgeproinc.com/amp/sharp...its/apex-kits/
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Just learn to use a wet stone and strop. It isn't rocket science.

I have a work sharp and a multi stone. The work sharp does ok for a quick sharpen and for polishing a final edge. Let me start by saying the type of edge you need depends on what you are doing with the knife. A meat cutting knife requires a different type edge that a hunting knife. The durability of the edge is different also.

The rolled edge is just a result of sharpening on a stone and it is always there to some extent. That roll is also the sharp part of the honed blade. To finish you need a sharpening steel. The steel will straighten the edge and push the rolled edge back to the center of the blade and remove any burrs. Then you can strap to a final polish if you want it to shave but it will still shave right off the steel. Steels are fairly inexpensive but worth the money.

The second thing is to never let the knife get dull in the first place. This means less honing and less polishing which saves on blade wear. I have a hunting knife that has only been on a stone once in 15 years when it was new. To clean in up i use a steel and leather strap and it’s back to shaving. It never goes on a stone. I worked in a packing house from the time I was 16 till I finished college. We ran about 300 cattle a week through our plant. I broke every one of them. My knives NEVER went on a stone. They were only sharpened on a steel. Now the boners on the tables were always sharpening their knives but my edge never touched the table which dulls them. I can send you a picture or a sharpening steel if you want but they too take a little time to properly master. I generally use a worn out steel rather than a new aggressive steel.

I still like the work sharp to set the initial bevel on hunting knives so it doesn’t get scratched up. They are generally very hard and difficult to bevel without a lot of work. Some may disagree but that is how I roll and it works for me.
    Last edited by centurian; 11-30-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Get an Edgepro and your sharpening aggravations will be behind you. A Lansky is a good economical alternative if you have a parallel blade section you can clamp on to. If you are a steel junkie like me you have to have serious sharpening capabilities.

https://www.edgeproinc.com/amp/sharp...its/apex-kits/
    Holy crap, dude. Looks like a science project.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Dang- ya'll overcomplicate everything.

99% of field use knives can be sharpened good enough to skin 3 deer in just 2 minutes with a simple Smith 2-sided diamond hone and a little practice- same with filet knives.

If you can't sharpen your fancy knife- get a carbon steel knife to learn with- the USMC Ka-bar can be sharpened with a rock.

The edge of your truck window works awesome as a hone if you don't have anything else.

The Smith hones are sold in the knife display at most hardware stores and big box stores.- it has a case that covers the hone and it becomes the handle for use.
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 12-01-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Let me ask this. What are you wanting to sharpen?

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Let me ask this. What are you wanting to sharpen?
    Kitchen knives mostly. They're Henckels, but they're a mid-to-lower-end set.

Ok. That Is helpful info.

I don’t know if you can sharpen knives or not and it really does not matter.

Wives will destroy a knife edge faster than you can blink. A regular steel is useless in my kitchen. My wife chops into a cutting board instead of slicing or cutting. Hell, she will cut things on a plate. Basically destroying the edge.

Lansky systems are pretty good for your pocket knife and hunting blades but, way to much work to keep kitchen knives up.

I use a oval shaped diamond rod and then a ceramic rod. I can quickly take a dull knife to darn sharp in less than a minute. Will it shave like my hunting knives? Nope. It will slice and carve? Darn well.

Seeing your boat, a set of these on it would be nice to touch up filet knives.

Diamond rod, mine was from Ikea but, they don’t carry it anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/LEVINCHY-Shar...70477744&psc=1

Ceramic rod, I buy a new small one every year at a gun show for 5 bucks. This one is better. Longer is better for long knives.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Sharp...NrPXRydWU&th=1

I will take payment in snapper
    Last edited by mello_collins; 12-01-2021 at 10:34 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Must appreciated, big homie. Terms accepted.

Don't store knives in drawer. Use a block if you have to. Best to hang them on the side of a cabinet. Mine is by my sink so I can dry them and hang them immediately.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Stai...27632205&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    That pretty much sum it up right there. BB - all I ever use for carving knives is the Cape Forge strop/compound. Same for all my kitchen knives. As for my wife's kitchen knives, I usually have to use a couple of EZ-Lap diamond stones to clean up the nicks before finishing on the strop. Holler at me and we can set up a demo or walk you through it.
    I still need to take you up on those demo lessons as well.