Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knife People

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Holy crap, dude. Looks like a science project.
    Lol…..if you use steels like Rex-45, Maxamet, 20cv, or S110v, you need the ability to keep the sharpening angle precise for fairly lengthy sharpening efforts. By doing this, with practice you can actually curl shave a hair. If the edge rolls easily, it is either cheap steel or a poor heat treat or both. Rule of thumb: if it takes an edge easily, it will dull easily. For a kitchen knife you won’t normally find these super steels though since they are not really suitable for them. For an EDC knife some folks like the super steels for their amazing edge holding ability, but they aren’t really necessary as long as you don’t mind sharpening them frequently.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 12-01-2021 at 07:48 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I’ve given up on the super steels. Yea they come stupid sharp but I am rough on a blade and will mess one up quick, so I like to be able to resharpen easily and quickly. If I can fairly easily cut a piece of paracord, ratchet strap webbing, sharpen a pencil, strip a wire or even cut a piece of pex pipe in a pinch then I’m happy with it. My Sunday go-to-meeting knife I might keep a tad sharper but that’s about it.

The two people I know who can keep a knife sharpener than anyone else I’ve ever seen are both carpenters I’ve worked with in the past. One carries a buck stockman and the other carries a Swiss army tinker model. They can spit on a stone and have those blades sharp enough to shave the hair off a dogs nuts while he’s sleeping without waking him up.

For $20 I still say a lansky crock stick with a piece of leather glued to the back is hard to beat.
    4D4822DC-55F2-4C50-9E46-81EA018606B3.jpg
    176FB440-D93E-4352-9610-DCD578AD0C4E.jpg
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 12-01-2021 at 08:01 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Good stuff, all. How would I know what type of steel the blades are made of? Guess that info'd be on the manufacturer's website?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Good stuff, all. How would I know what type of steel the blades are made of? Guess that info'd be on the manufacturer's website?
    Most decent knives it is stamped or etched on the blade

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Rule of thumb: if it takes an edge easily, it will dull easily.
    Truth

So I have several Benchmades and a Spyderco as well. I'm guessing these blades are all composed of one of these "super steels" CW and DC are talkin' about?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

So I have several Benchmades and a Spyderco as well. I'm guessing these blades are all composed of one of these "super steels" CW and DC are talkin' about?
    Could be, yes.

I did read recently that spyderco has started offering some knives with budget steel blades
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 12-02-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Send those back to the manufacturer for sharpening - especially serrated edge blades. The turnaround time is usually fast. Benchmade actually offers lifetime sharpening service. Not sure if it's still free, but it's easy to check .

Spyderco offers lifetime sharpening for free. You only pay $5.00 for return shipping.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 12-02-2021 at 08:35 AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Send those back to the manufacturer for sharpening - especially if serrated edge blades. The turnaround time is usually fast.
    And if they have a recurve profile.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Send those back to the manufacturer for sharpening - especially serrated edge blades. The turnaround time is usually fast. Benchmade actually offers lifetime sharpening service. Not sure if it's still free, but it's easy to check .

Spyderco offers lifetime sharpening for free. You only pay $5.00 for return shipping.
    Forgot about the Benchmade policy. Sending them in today.

So I have 400/1000 grit whet stone and some compound. Should I even mess with this thing? Am I likely to cause more harm than damage?

Sooo...

Just sacrificed an old belt and tried the leather strop method. HOLY COW, it's by far the most effective method yet. Lansky kit ordered, CW/DC.

YouTube is going to be your friend.

Sooo...

Just sacrificed an old belt and tried the leather strop method. HOLY COW, it's by far the most effective method yet. Lansky kit ordered, CW/DC.
    I had never tried polishing compound on the strop until today, ordered a block off Amazon for a few dollars as a result of this thread.
    Had an $30 Kershaw knife that needed a good touchup, worked it over the gray lansky rods to get a few nicks out but the polishing compound on the strop really made a difference for the final touches. Compound was about $8 on Amazon and a block of it will probably last 10yrs