Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a 25-06 for my son, need recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    I wanted a 25-06 so I went and bought a wood stock blued ruger at gander. Put a Leopold scope on it. I had trouble sighting it in. Then it hurt my feelings dragging that pretty new gun up a tree. I killed a pretty decent buck with it but he went further than I liked. Could be the ammo could be shot placement.

Went to uwharrie and my buddy was selling

a 257 with scope and 2 boxes of ammo for $425. I bought it took it home and it's killed everything I told it to. I'm just comfortable with it. I know it will do its job.
    As far as the original post maybe you should encourage him to buy a used gun to figure out what he likes. Don't make the mistake I did and buy a purty gun you are afraid you'll scratch so you just leave it at home.
    If I buy a gun I buy it to use, I don’t worry about scratching it up. They made plenty more just like it so there’s nothing special about mine.

And I offered to let him shoot mine if he wants to so obviously I’m giving him options to figure out what he likes and dislikes.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 10-21-2021 at 08:21 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The 6.5 Creedmoor has no magic fairy dust. It will push a 140 grain bullet 27-2800 FPS so will a lot of other cartridges. It’s an average killer. I’ve had one for a while. With a 130 grain bullet pushed fast it becomes and impressive killer.
    I’m calling bullshit on the 25-06 having the same recoil as the 30-06. They use almost identical charges of the same powders, yet one pushes bullets that are typically 30% - 50% heavier. In similar weight rifles that is physically im fucking possible, unless the rifle shooting heavier bullets had a mechanical advantage like a muzzle brake. For the guys that have had trouble killing stuff with the 25-06, the bullet was probably going too fast to open up….
    Last edited by FLS; 10-21-2021 at 08:34 PM.

I will say it again it’s hard to beat the ballistic coefficient of a 270 with the proper muzzle brake there is virtually no recoil and it’s a proven killer
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    With a 130 grain bullet pushed fast it becomes and impressive killer.
    The 130gr sierras I’ve been shooting have been the most consistent, best performing bullets I’ve ever shot.

Buy that kid a lever in 45-70 and he will know he's a stud

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    I will say it again it’s hard to beat the ballistic coefficient of a 270 with the proper muzzle brake there is virtually no recoil and it’s a proven killer
    The 270 has been pushing 130 -140 grain bullets 3000+ FPS for almost 100 years. That’s performance that a lot of its “replacements” struggle to achieve. I’ve got a 700 Mountain Rifle in 270 that I should use more than I do. It’s killed the shit out of everything I’ve ever shot with it.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-21-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Yep. I have a Weatherby .270 and a Browning 25-06. Love them both.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

There is no magic caliber. There are advantages and disadvantages for all of them. Any reasonable deer caliber with any reasonable quick opening bullet will do just fine so then it comes down to the rifle fit, trigger, noise, accuracy and recoil. Many younger shooters benefit the most by shooting an accurate, light recoiling rifle. As everyone knows, shot placement is the most important factor in killing a deer so if we can make accurate shooting easier for the youngster, he will be more effective.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Yea there is no way a 25-06 will recoil the same as a 30-06, all things being similar (same gun, gun weight, etc). Shooting lighter weight bullets at roughly the same speed (maybe a touch faster) can't change physics.

For deer, get the Winchester 115 gr ballistic silvertips and don't look back (if your gun like it). If he can handle the weight of the Remington Sendero someone was selling, it will be a joy to shoot as felt recoil will really be low. Comfortable shooting makes better marksmen.

Also, I've seen a few boxes of 25-06 on some shelves lately.

-------------------------------------
    Recoil chart hawked off the innerweb.

Caliber/bullet/FPS Rifle Weight-Recoil energy-Recoil velocity

.25-06 Rem. (100 at 3230) 8.0 11.0 9.4
    .25-06 Rem. (120 at 3000) 8.0 12.5 10.0

.30-06 Spfd. (150 at 2910) 8.0 17.6 11.9
    .30-06 Spfd. (165 at 2900) 8.0 20.1 12.7
    .30-06 Spfd. (180 at 2700) 8.0 20.3 12.8

"While recoil energy determines how hard the blow to the shoulder feels, recoil velocity determines how abrupt the blow to the shoulder feels. My subjective impression is that, with a well designed stock, recoil velocity above about 10 fps begins to feel like a sharp rap on the shoulder rather than an abrupt push"
    Last edited by JBtflo; 10-22-2021 at 11:46 PM.

The 270 has been pushing 130 -140 grain bullets 3000+ FPS for almost 100 years. That’s performance that a lot of its “replacements” struggle to achieve. I’ve got a 700 Mountain Rifle in 270 that I should use more than I do. It’s killed the shit out of everything I’ve ever shot with it.
    I’m with ya. I’ve shot a lot of critters all over the country with my .270 Win Remington 700, wood stock and all original. The stock finally got replaced with a Stocky’s this year. I fell from a 16’ tree stand last November and it was still dead on at 200’.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 10-23-2021 at 08:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Good luck finding a B&c stock right now for a 700.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

That's a fact.