Thread: Looking for a 25-06 for my son, need recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    what an asshole
    That means a lot coming from you
    Houndsmen are born, not made

I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

i have fox squirrels
    and a bream pond
    and a place to stay.

come find out for yourself
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

i have fox squirrels
    and a bream pond
    and a place to stay.

come find out for yourself
    Invitation accepted

But I’m not looking for passion

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Bring it up this year when we squirrel hunt and let me know how much cash I need to bring
    Would need to put Jake in the back of a Brinks truck...
    Last edited by FishSticker; 10-21-2021 at 12:58 PM.

what an asshole
    Toof talking about himself out loud again- LoL

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Back on topic a bit. I really like the 25-06, but like all things there are disadvantages. It is loud and the barrel will probably be 24-26 inches….as it needs to be since it is overbore, so the gun will be a bit long. Not sure how big the kid is but it is something to consider if you are in the confines of a small stand. On the positive side, shooting a 100gr Ballistic Tip at 3300-3400 fps, it seems to kill deer better than it should. The recoil on mine is about like a 7mm-08, maybe a tad more. The 6.5 Creed will recoil less and not be as loud. Either will kill a woods goat with no problem. Factory ammo availability maybe challenging but I have seen a decent amount of 6.5 CM lately since it has become a boutique caliber.

Realistically in times like these everybody should be learning to handload. You can tailor make an accurate load for a particular gun and load it for typically less than half price but the big thing is that you are not dependent on finding ammo in a store.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Back on topic a bit. I really like the 25-06, but like all things there are disadvantages. It is loud and the barrel will probably be 24-26 inches….as it needs to be since it is overbore, so the gun will be a bit long. Not sure how big the kid is but it is something to consider if you are in the confines of a small stand. On the positive side, shooting a 100gr Ballistic Tip at 3300-3400 fps, it seems to kill deer better than it should. The recoil on mine is about like a 7mm-08, maybe a tad more. The 6.5 Creed will recoil less and not be as loud. Either will kill a woods goat with no problem. Factory ammo availability maybe challenging but I have seen a decent amount of 6.5 CM lately since it has become a boutique caliber.

Realistically in times like these everybody should be learning to handload. You can tailor make an accurate load for a particular gun and load it for typically less than half price but the big thing is that you are not dependent on finding ammo in a store.
    Finding reloading components has been just as hard here lately. I stumbled upon a pack of 1000 CCI 200 large rifle primers priced like they used to be a few months ago and felt like I had won the lottery.

If he really wants to be different look for a 257 Bee. Then he can tell all the "creed" guys to try and catch up.

europtics has Bergara B14 ridgel special all purpose rifle for 749 right now

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    If he really wants to be different look for a 257 Bee. Then he can tell all the "creed" guys to try and catch up.
    I have a 257 and 25-06. The 25-06 never leaves the house I just never got comfortable with it. The 257 has never let me down.

He wants to forge his own trail. We have 5 different 6.5 creedmoors. He likes them but wants to go his own way. He is caught up in the speed and trajectory of the cartridge and not the recoil and ammo availability.
    Last edited by prcn; 10-21-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prcn View Post
    He wants to forge his own trail. We have 5 different 6.5 creedmoors. He likes them but wants to go his own way. He is caught up in the speed and trajectory of the cartridge and not the recoil and ammo availability.
    If thats the case then 257 weatherby it is

6.5-300 Weatherby.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    I just never got comfortable with it.
    All caliber jokes aside i think this is a HUGE factor for most folks, being comfortable with and having confidence in your equipment

That’s so true about confidence. I be built about 8or 9 6.5 creedmoors with savage actions and new criterion barrels for me and friends. My personal one is a laser and I have so much confidence to shoot a doe in the head anytime. I just finished 6.5 creedmoor on a ruger no1 B. I chopped it to 16 and suppressed it. I’m not confident with it yet. I had 2 does at about 100 yards with a very solid rest and right elbow rest and I didn’t take the head shot. Confidence is key.

.270 Win and call it a day. It's not a speed demon or 1k yard cartridge but will kill.
    Last edited by ADP; 10-21-2021 at 06:30 PM.

I have two rifles in 25’06. Remington 700 in stainless and a varmit (sendero). Both shoot well but the varmit will shoot one hole at 100 yards. I shoot federal premium 100 grain Nosler ballistic tips and they have performed perfectly. I typically shoot deer in the shoulder. Recoil isn’t bad either.
    Last edited by BugBuster; 10-21-2021 at 07:43 PM.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    All caliber jokes aside i think this is a HUGE factor for most folks, being comfortable with and having confidence in your equipment
    I wanted a 25-06 so I went and bought a wood stock blued ruger at gander. Put a Leopold scope on it. I had trouble sighting it in. Then it hurt my feelings dragging that pretty new gun up a tree. I killed a pretty decent buck with it but he went further than I liked. Could be the ammo could be shot placement.

Went to uwharrie and my buddy was selling

a 257 with scope and 2 boxes of ammo for $425. I bought it took it home and it's killed everything I told it to. I'm just comfortable with it. I know it will do its job.
    As far as the original post maybe you should encourage him to buy a used gun to figure out what he likes. Don't make the mistake I did and buy a purty gun you are afraid you'll scratch so you just leave it at home.

Go buy a Remington 700 in 270 win stainless , take it home and take the stock and trigger off and throw it in the trash, then order a B&C stock and a timney trigger set at 2lbs then carry it to darlington gun works and have 4-6” cut off the barrel and a shrud (sp) muzzle brake installed and he can killed any animal in North America with it
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

I've got a Sendero in .25-06 I'd let go for the right price. B&C stock/ Timney trigger, stainless fluted barrel. Not because I dont like it, but I dont need it.