Thread: Pups first

Default Pups first

Last year was the first deer season I can remember not having a dog to help find wounded deer. Titan was always the go to dog. If the deer was dead, he would find it regardless of how old the track was. He was amazing to watch. The wife and I had been looking for a reputable breeder for basset hounds. We found one in Virginia or West Virginia. I don’t remember but we picked our pup up right before Christmas. We named her Magnolia.

Fast forward to this year, she has become a great little family dog. She listens better than any hound I’ve ever had. She hates her tail more than 2th hates people. I shot buck early on in the season and the wife brought her so she could smell and play with it. She was hooked. I made a terrible shot with the bow one afternoon on a doe, idk if my finger slipped or what happen. It was raining but we figured we would give the pup a shot. Chances of finding this deer were slim. We didn’t find any blood for 75-100yds and the pup found the first blood. No deer. Next deer was shot with the rifle and she ran about 50yds. It was my sons first witness to a kill. We were sitting a ground blind. Magnolia was in the truck so we put her on it. She did ok, needed a little help but found the deer. Stuck a doe with the bow, and same situation as the rifle. She needed a little help. Last night I stuck a decent doe at the house. I heard her crash and knew she was dead. Walked to the house and got the pup. She acted like a completely different dog. Focused, excited, obedient. It was like she knew what was gonna happen. She went to the arrow first, and took off. I thought I knew where the deer went but I was wrong. The deer cut hard left. I lost the blood and the dog was gone. I could hear her in the woods. I thought she just got side tracked again. I called she came. We started back on the arrow and she took off again the same way. I decided to walk that way and picked up the blood again. Followed an unbelievable blood trail. Got into the wood line and shined the light ahead, got her eyes. There was Magnolia sitting as proud as a dog can with her first deer by herself. She turns 1 on Halloween. She has a bright future ahead of her.

Last edited by b-stick; 10-20-2021 at 03:53 PM.

That’s good work. Very nicely done.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

thats awesome
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That dog is possessed by the devil.

No telling how many deer that dog will find over the years.

Good stuff

Love it. My lab lives for finding a downed deer.

That's so nice. Mine flips a switch and goes into crazy work mode when the bell comes out.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Awesome.

Our late Boykin found a bunch of shot deer for my friends. She would bark when she was at the deer. ( Didn't teach her that).. also didn't teach her to grab a Buck's balls as we drug them out, but she did that too.

Good luck with her continuing education. Having a good trail dog is nice to have.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Good trail dogs are worth the effort!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE