Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me and Hootie

Default Me and Hootie

No not me hanging w Darius. went home for lunch yesterday and see something hanging in the soccer goal in backyard. assume it's a jacket or toy the kids left and the landscapers threw up there to get it off the ground. As I approach I see it's an animal an immediately think Sicilian message "Luka Brasi swims with the fishes." Turns out it is an owl completely hung up. no telling how long it had been there. I'm guessing the night before. so I proceed to cut it out but when he gets loose he sits there and doesn't fly off.

So I call the birds of prey place and the lady literally tell me to bring it to them in Awendaw. I ask her if I should just take the rest of the day off or what? She tells me I can't just leave it there bc a predator might get it. I say that would be karma wouldn't since he was trying to do the same thing to another animal. She didn't see the humor in it. So I agree to put it in a box w holes in it of course and bring it to my office so they can pick it up. She calls me back and says one of their employees lives a few miles away and will come get it.

One of the talons got me and it was sharp. Will update if I find out how the little guy is doing. will try to post video too if I can figure it out (It's not like I'm a dentist or anything)

sorry about the big pics as well. if someone wants to fix it, have at it.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Default Me and Hootie

No not me hanging w Darius. went home for lunch yesterday and see something hanging in the soccer goal in backyard. assume it's a jacket or toy the kids left and the landscapers threw up there to get it off the ground. As I approach I see it's an animal an immediately think Sicilian message "Luka Brasi swims with the fishes." Turns out it is an owl completely hung up. no telling how long it had been there. I'm guessing the night before. so I proceed to cut it out but when he gets loose he sits there and doesn't fly off.

So I call the birds of prey place and the lady literally tell me to bring it to them in Awendaw. I ask her if I should just take the rest of the day off or what? She tells me I can't just leave it there bc a predator might get it. I say that would be karma wouldn't since he was trying to do the same thing to another animal. She didn't see the humor in it. So I agree to put it in a box w holes in it of course and bring it to my office so they can pick it up. She calls me back and says one of their employees lives a few miles away and will come get it.

One of the talons got me and it was sharp. Will update if I find out how the little guy is doing. will try to post video too if I can figure it out (It's not like I'm a dentist or anything)

sorry about the big pics as well. if someone wants to fix it, have at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That’s pretty cool
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Soccer endangers wildlife..film at 11.
    At least I'm housebroken.

You cut up your kids soccer net for that rabbit eating bastard?????

I have a friend that volunteers for the raptor center. They're always transporting wounded owls and hawks. Occasionally I get one released on my property. Sure has thinned out the squirrels in the corn pile.

I had to do my community service at the Birds of Prey center. Some cool peeps.

That's one pissed off animal in that pic.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

i caught one on topwater with gene fucking simmons one night. like late night. fucker got every damn treble hook in him. our drunk asses thought we needed to go wake Tilly up, so we did. he told us to go the hell away. so, we did.

and proceeded to somehow get that hooks out without hurting ourselves or the owl....

and another time, DOOK and I found a bald eagle and took it to the raptor center and it died.
    I miss mergie's stories.

the end
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

oh and soccer rocks!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    You cut up your kids soccer net for that rabbit eating bastard?????
    kinda how I was feeling as I was doing it

That's a Barred Owl I think. I had one fly into my windshield years ago on Dorchester Road. My drunk buddy in the passenger seat thought I had hit a pedestrian. I did a U-turn, pulled into the median and as I was approaching, a car centered him. To my surprise, the owl ducked and was no worse. I threw a towel over him and carried him home for the night. I had a cool picture of him sitting on my arm with his wings extended. He spent the night in my house sitting on a deer mount. I took him back to where I found him the next day and he flew off and lit in a tree.

I thought this was Hootie the all time greatest singer SC never had.

Always something happening on this site…

owls are cool as hell. I was sitting in a climber a few years back and one landed on a limb right beside me.
    Scary stuff up close, either he had poor eye sight or I am one stealth cat in a climber

Great Horned

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Great Horned
    You're right. Barred Owls don't have the tufts. He's not a very big Great Horned Owl though. Those suckers get huge!

And Darius Rucker is indeed one of the best singers to come out of SC. His voice sounds like velvet.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 10-14-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Would make a cool as mount!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

My wife used to rehab raptors, and we had quite a number of various owls, hawks, herons, etc, around during those years.

As for their talons, you're lucky he didn't really get you good. We've got a couple pair of kevlar gloves that come half-way up the forearm just for handling owls and hawks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I miss quail.