Thread: Changing lock from Electronic to mechanical on Liberty Safe.

Default Changing lock from Electronic to mechanical on Liberty Safe.

One of my safes has an Electric SG keypad lock...don't trust it. Anybody have any experience swapping from a battery operated keypad to an old school dial?

Is this something that someone with average to above average skills can tackle or should it be done by a professional? Would hate to miss some minute detail and create a lockout situation requiring the safe to be drilled.

Experiences and recommendations appreciated.

Call Nichols in rock hill. Ask for Darren. He’ll know what to do. It’s more complicated than you think. Also, the electronic keeps something in reserve from the battery. When the battery “dies”, there is a sequence that allows you to get in. Don’t lock your papers in the safe, it has the key. Otherwise, I’ve had mine for almost 10 years with no problems other than the initial scare when the battery went out.
    It’s easier to touch keys than to twist dials when you get older and/or lose your eyesight. Just saying.

actually researched that the other day when I got to thinking about the battery what happens when it dies. Made me feel better when I read the combination was retained even when the battery gives out

I had mine switched out when we moved a couple years ago. I like the spin dial a lot. My keypad was constantly giving me problems even with fresh batteries

To the OP - if you are in the charlotte area shoot me a PM and I will give you the name of the locksmith I used. I watched him do it and it didn’t seem like something I would have wanted to tackle myself

Appreciate the info...

I am on the second keypad currently. Figure if I have to replace it again, I will just go ahead and put a dial on it. Safe is pushing 20 years old, so I figure sooner or later the electronics will become out of date and unable to be retrofitted.

I am in the Chas area for referrence.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    ...to above average skills
    easy there...

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    easy there...
    I know people...

FWIW, I have 2 safes with digital locks going on 20 years. Never had a problem (yet).

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

You do know that in case of an EMF attack your electronic lock will not work. I have a dial for what it is worth.

As many of you know, I own a safe and lock company and have over 50 years experience in this. If you are in the Charleston area, call Willie Gamble with Berkeley Locksmiths. He is a good friend and member of the SC Locksmith's Association. I have made a ton of money off of digital/electronic lock failure. I tell people all the time that it is not a matter of IF your electronic lock will fail, but WHEN!. There are certain numbers even on a regular dial lock for the third number that if you use them it can cause a lockout. A Locksmith should know what numbers can be used. Tell Willie that Larry with Triangle Safe recommended him please.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Yes a read an article about setting the combination on a dial safe. Seems the numbers between the 12 oclock index mark and the index left of that are off limits. I dont know why I would ever change the combo anyway as I am the only one with the combo. So if something happens to me the wife will likely be calling someone like Rooster13. I wrote it on the wall on the other side of the room but i doubt she will remember that.