Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 25-06 for my son, need recommendations

Default Looking for a 25-06 for my son, need recommendations

My 15 year old has been reading up and really wants a 25-06. I've never shot one or been around anyone that owns one, but a lot of you clowns on this website really approve of them.
    My dad started a gun fund when they were born. He said he doesn't do toys, so instead he puts $100 in a savings account for all 3 of my boys for their birthday and $100 for Christmas. Needless to say the kids got money burning a hole in his pocket and he wants a deer rifle that he can call his own.

Who makes a good 25-06 that we can find or possibly order with a reasonable lead time?(Bergara or Tikka)

And what ammo for whitetail and where to find it??

Thanks!

I shoot a browning xbolt with 117gr Hornsdyt btsp. It shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards.

If you ever get around Greenwood he is more than welcome to put a few rounds through mine and see how he likes it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I have a Savage 25-06 and its a killer. I shoot the 115 winchester silvertips.

Don’t think bergara makes a rifle in 25-06. You hit the nail on the head with clowns.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 10-21-2021 at 08:13 AM.

I am a Savage fan. I think they make a dang good rifle for the money with a pretty good factory trigger. I probably own 5 and all of them shoot. That being said, as has been posted dozens of times as it relates to shotguns, bows, and rifle, just have him handle a few different models and buy him what he likes best. Or, if he wants to be a bad ass 15 year old, have him get a Ruger No. 1.
    Carolina Counsel

F3C6DCB6-CEAC-4E6D-9FD8-301BDFAE55CE.jpg
    I just got my first # 1. I cut it down to 16 inches. 6.5 creedmoor
    He likes a number 1 now that I have 1
    We will have to check his budget!

6.5 CM has supplanted many of the older calibers- kills beyond it's numbers with less muzzle blast and recoil than a 243- like it's magic. Let him shoot both before buying the 25-06- or anything else.

I have been a lifelong 30 cal shooter, got a 243 for the grandkids, it's ok- bought a Browning A bolt in 25-06- shot 3 deer with it and sold it to Tim Smith-it was no real change from the 30-06
    I have been shooting the Creed and am convinced of it's attributes. I will be buying a very nice rifle and scope for myself in the creed.

The lesser recoil and muzzle blast makes shooting more enjoyable and enhances accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    6.5 CM has supplanted many of the older calibers- kills beyond it's numbers with less muzzle blast and recoil than a 243- like it's magic. Let him shoot both before buying the 25-06- or anything else.

I have been a lifelong 30 cal shooter, got a 243 for the grandkids, it's ok- bought a Browning A bolt in 25-06- shot 3 deer with it and sold it to Tim Smith-it was no real change from the 30-06
    I have been shooting the Creed and am convinced of it's attributes. I will be buying a very nice rifle and scope for myself in the creed.

The lesser recoil and muzzle blast makes shooting more enjoyable and enhances accuracy.
    I wasn’t aware you were starting the transitioning process, hope it goes smoothly for you

I have a browning a bolt 25-06 medallion. Love it. Keeping it for my boys as their first rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I wasn’t aware you were starting the transitioning process, hope it goes smoothly for you
    LOL- transitioning to being old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    LOL- transitioning to being old.
    Haha, at least you took it for the joke it was

The biggest problem he is going to have with the 25-06 is finding time to tell everyone he shoots a 25-06.

a 25-06 no 1 would be a sweet rifle.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I have a weatherby vanguard, guy who had it before me had it floated, new trigger etc. The gun is a shooter, took it last Saturday for the first time and knocked down my second biggest buck to date. One thing I will say, the deer was quartering to me about to blow out of there. So I shot him in front of the left shoulder with the angle to exit behind the right shoulder and didn’t get a pass thru or hardly any blood at all. Thankfully I watched him pile up 80 yards from where he was hit.

Find an older 700. If you can find a Classic, only made on 1990, he’ll have a rifle to be proud of.

I've had a 25-06, and honestly wasn't particularly impressed with the caliber. The A-Bolt was great, but recoil was just about the 30-06 with a small bullet and same action.

It was fine, but its been surpassed and the 6.5 is much, much, more available and is probably better if you want the truth.

257 Roberts. It is. 7mm mauser case necked down to 25 cal. Not as fast as an 25-06 but like the 6.5 it has less recoil and blast.

I have a Ruger varmint model in 25-06 and it shoots well
    Last edited by mello_collins; 10-21-2021 at 12:13 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by prcn View Post
    F3C6DCB6-CEAC-4E6D-9FD8-301BDFAE55CE.jpg
    I just got my first # 1. I cut it down to 16 inches. 6.5 creedmoor
    He likes a number 1 now that I have 1
    We will have to check his budget!
    Have one of those in .25-06 as well....amazingly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Haha, at least you took it for the joke it was
    what an asshole
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Have one of those in .25-06 as well....amazingly accurate.
    Bring it up this year when we squirrel hunt and let me know how much cash I need to bring