Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New house construction

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Bullshit, I’m not putting you on the schedule without a deposit. I have the money to float it as long as needed but it’s your dream, your project and should be your money, not mine. That said, the OP’s contractor is hiring the cheapest subs he can and still isn’t paying them on time, that’s why they’re doing half ass work and taking too long. Talk to the contractors suppliers to see in he’s current on the bills for your house, it’ll tell you a lot. That’s a terrible job BTW.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I'm trying to figure out where there is a crew of any Latinos that would take 6 weeks to frame a house. You sure they ain't white boys wearing jorts and white tenny shoes?
    Right?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Bullshit, I’m not putting you on the schedule without a deposit. I have the money to float it as long as needed but it’s your dream, your project and should be your money, not mine. That said, the OP’s contractor is hiring the cheapest subs he can and still isn’t paying them on time, that’s why they’re doing half ass work and taking too long. Talk to the contractors suppliers to see in he’s current on the bills for your house, it’ll tell you a lot. That’s a terrible job BTW.
    I wouldn't mind giving someone I knew a deposit on a project, but many a problem could be avoided by not paying a contractor money before work is done. I've seen it too many times where money is exchanged and the work either doesn't happen, or doesn't happen well and it's almost impossible to get it fixed, because money is already out the door, and you've lost the only leverage you had.

I think you have some gret advice here, but the best IMO is getting the Financial Institution you are using involved.

Stop being a nice guy also, it doesnt get you anywhere.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I wouldn't mind giving someone I knew a deposit on a project, but many a problem could be avoided by not paying a contractor money before work is done. I've seen it too many times where money is exchanged and the work either doesn't happen, or doesn't happen well and it's almost impossible to get it fixed, because money is already out the door, and you've lost the only leverage you had.

Let me know when you find a builder to start without getting some money up front. A roof, deck, bathroom remodel maybe. You ain't getting somebody to build a house without something up front. Especially nowadays

I'm trying to figure out where there is a crew of any Latinos that would take 6 weeks to frame a house. You sure they ain't white boys wearing jorts and white tenny shoes?
    I am with you. We had only 2 messecans framing our house and it was done within a week 2 at the most and was wrapped up tight.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Framing a house fast does not always mean good. Most building products can get wet several times. And I know some on here are happy with the work of latinos I'm not one of them. And as far as original post I had a drywall guy that did a shitty job. I asked him to fix It . It still looked like shit and held the job up longer. I wound up paying him just to get rid of him and payed someone else to fix it. If someone is to lazy to do something right the first time what makes you think he'll care more the second time.

Yep. This was what framing in the 80's looked like now most Hispanic do decent work. The Jean short crowd switch from pot to meth and it was down hill.

Have checked if the work is even square?

Let me know when you find a builder to start without getting some money up front. A roof, deck, bathroom remodel maybe. You ain't getting somebody to build a house without something up front. Especially nowadays
    I agree. I apparently miss-interpreted the OP's post. New home construction would call for some up-front money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Yep. This was what framing in the 80's looked like now most Hispanic do decent work. The Jean short crowd switch from pot to meth and it was down hill.

Have checked if the work is even square?
    Spot on. Beer to pot little to no fall off. From pot to pills and meth was the demise of the American workforce in the construction industry. With a few exceptions of course

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    Framing a house fast does not always mean good. Most building products can get wet several times. And I know some on here are happy with the work of latinos I'm not one of them. And as far as original post I had a drywall guy that did a shitty job. I asked him to fix It . It still looked like shit and held the job up longer. I wound up paying him just to get rid of him and payed someone else to fix it. If someone is to lazy to do something right the first time what makes you think he'll care more the second time.

I do new construction for five or six builders only. Those builders are cost plus only and will make sure my crew is standing there when their framers get the last piece of OSB installed

I hate this for you and hope you get it all worked out. That looks worse than a backyard treehouse that a couple 11 y/o's threw together.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I do new construction for five or six builders only. Those builders are cost plus only and will make sure my crew is standing there when their framers get the last piece of OSB installed
    I only work cost plus on just about everything these days. Trying to pin a lump sum contract is like a T-baller trying to hit a major league fastball these days. I've had clients ask for a lump sum and tell them straight up that I can do it but I'm going to hedge it in my favor heavily because I'm not losing money on a project and I don't give anything away, you can't these days. Not sure if they OP is in a LSUM contract or not, that may be the issue. If so, the builder priced it too low and is trying to minimize the loss or is now robbing Peter to pay Paul and losing his ass on both. I'd do some checking with his creditors/subs, they'll tell you if they haven't been paid to date because if they don't the property is going to be liened to collect the money before they can close and they'll be on the hook until the legal process plays out. If that is the case, then they need to have a come to Jesus meeting with the contractor. I get calls all the time to see if I'll come fix this or help someone out of a mess, I politely decline. Contractors that pay their bills don't have this issue, subs and suppliers jump at the chance to work for them because they know their money is there.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

A little update. After not sleeping a wink last night and being pretty pissed this morning, I sent him a text first thing this morning to stop all work and let me know when he could meet me there in person. After a few heated messages I met him there along with his Latino foreman and did a walk around of the house. He was not happy. Well no shot, had you been out here in the last few weeks you would physically see my concerns. He immediately told the framers to start tearing stuff out and making them right. We spent 2 hours going over every thing I saw or things that he saw that needed correcting. When I got there he already had the entire crew pulling missed nails out the walls. He went on the roof with his foreman and pulled OSB off in a few places of concern and addressed them with the framer. Of course they could’ve been talking about me the entire time, who knows. He and I climbed on the porch roofs and looked at several issues and he showed me exactly would they would be doing to make it right. Most of them are tearing back out completely and doing them like it should’ve been done in the first place. He knows that they aren’t going to get by with any shortcuts and I’m hoping this changes things. I let him know that this will not continue to be an issue with the remainder of the build or I would be holding his funds and hiring and attorney. I tend to give people the benefit of doubt most of the time and I know he’s been taking care of a sick wife the last 3 weeks so I’m hopeful that he knows I’m done with the shitty work. Our original plan was to go with vinyl siding but he said today that he was willing to install the Hardie Board in place of the vinyl if we were willing to cover the paint. I’m sure he won’t be losing any money but I’d much rather have Hardie. To answer a question that was asked, yes, this was a lump sum contract. I’m hoping that my praying and bringing this issue up front with him now will work out for the remainder of the project and that I won’t have to find another contractor or hire an attorney. I know, that’s a lot of wishful thinking.

I didn't write my first check until my house was dried in.. between myself, my builder, and my bank there wasn't a question asked.

i hate you gotta deal with this too. dont let the stress win.
    the view out the front windshield is a lot better than the rearview mirror. look forward to your new house.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I didn't write my first check until my house was dried in.. between myself, my builder, and my bank there wasn't a question asked.
    bank of camdenshire
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Basically... but you can bet your sweet ass I'll never build another house

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    A little update. After not sleeping a wink last night and being pretty pissed this morning, I sent him a text first thing this morning to stop all work and let me know when he could meet me there in person. After a few heated messages I met him there along with his Latino foreman and did a walk around of the house. He was not happy. Well no shot, had you been out here in the last few weeks you would physically see my concerns. He immediately told the framers to start tearing stuff out and making them right. We spent 2 hours going over every thing I saw or things that he saw that needed correcting. When I got there he already had the entire crew pulling missed nails out the walls. He went on the roof with his foreman and pulled OSB off in a few places of concern and addressed them with the framer. Of course they could’ve been talking about me the entire time, who knows. He and I climbed on the porch roofs and looked at several issues and he showed me exactly would they would be doing to make it right. Most of them are tearing back out completely and doing them like it should’ve been done in the first place. He knows that they aren’t going to get by with any shortcuts and I’m hoping this changes things. I let him know that this will not continue to be an issue with the remainder of the build or I would be holding his funds and hiring and attorney. I tend to give people the benefit of doubt most of the time and I know he’s been taking care of a sick wife the last 3 weeks so I’m hopeful that he knows I’m done with the shitty work. Our original plan was to go with vinyl siding but he said today that he was willing to install the Hardie Board in place of the vinyl if we were willing to cover the paint. I’m sure he won’t be losing any money but I’d much rather have Hardie. To answer a question that was asked, yes, this was a lump sum contract. I’m hoping that my praying and bringing this issue up front with him now will work out for the remainder of the project and that I won’t have to find another contractor or hire an attorney. I know, that’s a lot of wishful thinking.
    As I am sure you have been doing, document everything you see that you believe to be an issue and make him aware of them IN WRITING. If your deal goes bad, that info will be invaluable. He may intend to do the right thing now that he is aware, but I would want to start covering my bases now for what may come up later. These are only the things you have seen thus far. May be other items that need to be addressed you don’t know to look for.

Luckily we are living next door to the house and I go over every single day. So I can see the progress and I look for things, I take pics if I see something remotely close to something I think may be questionable. Then I’ll send it to the contractor in a text with the picture. I have every single picture and text since the beginning of the year. Short of emails, a text to me is the best way to do this and keep a record of my concerns.