Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New house construction

Who is the builder and how’d you wind up with him? Recommendations from others?
    Edited to add....yea you have a reason to be worried. As has already been stated, the first warning should’ve been when he asked for money up front.
    Last edited by SCSwitchback; 10-11-2021 at 10:24 PM.

You need a board stretcher, a couple shims, several scabs and a watchamacallit nail puller. Oh and a match.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Yeah......
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I've framed for almost 40 years. This is pretty sloppy work
    You may want to get a third party to go behind them and inspect their work . It's not too late . If you don't do something now you may regret it for years to come.

Another vote for hiring a inspector/contractor to watch your builder. I've been saying this since 1997 when I built my house.
    I had a number of problems with my builder but he kept blowing me off
    One of many things was the split stairwell and the tread height variance. I mentioned it during framing and several other times during construction but he always said it was okay. I went by the house the day before closing and the county inspector wouldnt pass the stairs and the builder had the carpet pulled out of the stairwell and was jerry rigging a fix to bring the stairs up to code.
    At one point I had two full baths framed into the master bedroom due to the wrong placement of the bedroom door.
    He laid carpet before the driveway and front porch was poured.
    The list of screw ups was long and that sunuvabitch fought me every step of the way.
    Yup, hire a third party to check behind your builder if possible. It would have been worth another grand or so to have an experienced contractor checking behind the builder IMO.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 10-12-2021 at 04:08 AM.

He was not the lowest price we had. I have communicated every one of my questions and concerns to him promptly of me finding an issue and his answer has always been he will get the framers to correct it. Nothing has been corrected at this point. The framers should be done by the end of this week minus fixing all their bullshit. We looked at some of his work before we ever went and talked with him and we liked what we saw and his past clients liked his work but did tell us he lacked on the communication aspect. We have everything picked out that we need to pick out on our end and have even went as far as paying out of pocket for long lead time items like appliances, all plumbing fixtures and all specialty lighting. I told him before we ever started that he would hate me by the end of this build because of how anal I am. I guess I have not proven that to him yet and need to have a serious sit down with him, which is suppose to happen at 430 on Thursday. I honestly don’t know where to go from here but I’m going to start with our meeting on Thursday to show him all of my concerns and give him the chance to make it right before I go another direction.
    Last edited by SCHUNTINFANATIC; 10-12-2021 at 04:54 AM.

The mold alone would scare the shit out of me!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I would call Jay Floyd with Brown and Brehmer in Columbia SC. Seen him handle a few of these contractors in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    How would you deal with the money lost / contractor issue at this point?
    i’d tell the contractor he was done and to contact my lawyer regarding payment. don’t offer money or pay him anything else.
    Windows Down!

Yeah, that's a mess, I was a residential home builder years ago and would never have let that go. The quality of the finished home depends on the framing being right, leave issues like that and you will hate it later.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good inspector I could hire to come in a look at this?

Unless you are self paying for the project- get the finance people involved asap- they have teams of lawyers ready to protect their investment.
    That work doesn't pass code- the inspector is not doing his job or is on the builders payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good inspector I could hire to come in a look at this?
    where?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    where?

Between Aiken and Wagener.

you are getting fucked. I am an environmental consultant and have been doing so in SC for 35 years. That pressed board has mold growing on it. Unless it is cleaned up properly it will never go away. It will sit quietly inside your wall just waiting for a little moisture to allow it to bloom again and start growing. I dont know what kind of mold it is, but who gives a shit. I dont want any mold. the framing job is absolute shit.
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

10% startup/deposit/permit fee is normal, thats why they will cut that check at loan closing.
    Also normal is that subbed out methican framing and it looks like they put your subfloor in upside down.

Pressed board

Quote Originally Posted by wcrites307 View Post
    you are getting fucked. I am an environmental consultant and have been doing so in SC for 35 years. That pressed board has mold growing on it. Unless it is cleaned up properly it will never go away. It will sit quietly inside your wall just waiting for a little moisture to allow it to bloom again and start growing. I dont know what kind of mold it is, but who gives a shit. I dont want any mold. the framing job is absolute shit.
    Yeah needs to be cleaned or the just taken out and replaced. If it has gotten that much moisture to allow mold to grow you know that wood is wet. Most likely up into 20% plus. I was nervous when we got our house built because of something like this. We had very few issues actually come up at all. We had a few but as soon as we brought it to the guys attention it was already written down and being taken care of. Hope you get some results that mold issue alone could result in 1000s of dollars in damage later if not handled correctly.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I'm trying to figure out where there is a crew of any Latinos that would take 6 weeks to frame a house. You sure they ain't white boys wearing jorts and white tenny shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    The first sign it was a bad deal was when you had to pay 10% up front. Any contractor that can’t afford to start a job ain’t worth dealing with. That’s some of the worst work I’ve seen in a new construction build. I wouldn’t let him touch my house again. Good luck
    Bullshit, I’m not putting you on the schedule without a deposit. I have the money to float it as long as needed but it’s your dream, your project and should be your money, not mine. That said, the OP’s contractor is hiring the cheapest subs he can and still isn’t paying them on time, that’s why they’re doing half ass work and taking too long. Talk to the contractors suppliers to see in he’s current on the bills for your house, it’ll tell you a lot. That’s a terrible job BTW.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013