Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New house construction

Default New house construction

We are in the middle of our new construction and I’m already up to my eyeballs in stress over things I think have been half assed. A little run down, gave the contractor 10% up front to start, that was on May 4th. Nothing was even started until until June 4th when footings were dug. Foundation was done towards the end of August. Here it is almost the middle of October and the house is not dried in yet. The framers have been here 6 weeks. Subfloors have been rained on quite a few times and we now have mold/mildew in several places. One roll off of scraps was hauled off today and it was running over onto the ground and the one they brought today is 1/3 full. I feel like we are not getting a quality job and the framers have been excessively wasting materials. The contractor has only been out maybe 3 possibly 4 times during the last 6 weeks. Am I just too picky? Do I need to be concerned with stuff I see? This is my first build and I don’t know if these are usual things or if I have a legit reason to be quite fed up at this point. Take a look at some pics below and give me some feedback. Let me add, he assured me once he got started things would roll and I’ve yet to see anything “roll” except my $$.

6C4C1FC5-AF8E-43B0-932C-99F57999E2D7.jpg
    BDBD09D1-5159-4085-A0C3-823987DC2F28.jpg
    3E9039CE-CE15-42E6-8A9F-7F5AA454561B.jpg
    DBDB66E9-89F9-4C73-B45C-163AA14CBE82.jpg
    79488EA1-AF0E-43D5-A50A-A1591DF3D0A7.jpg
    E39BE5C3-9BE2-4698-B224-86711EE65D25.jpg
    EBDDE373-DB9F-4D1B-969B-F13348E4BA49.jpg
    B6C0A249-3C1A-4A52-9B51-EAE0EAC363CF.jpg
    F364D4F9-2DED-42C0-BC20-17F96F9D7F26.jpg
    8962800F-9507-4E5B-A04C-3A7F0455F8F5.jpg

prayers sent
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    prayers sent
    I have no experience w construction but I do feel you have cause to be concerned

What he said^^^^^

I think the last picture explains some of the others.

That’s half ass. It looks like a kid built it. Seems to be the new normal. No one cares about doing good work anymore and if they do you can’t afford them.

Even though the county does inspections, I paid an independent inspector at various points to keep the builder honest and wouldn't approve the next draw from the construction loan until the punch list was addressed. Costs a little extra but the peace of mind is priceless.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

I'd be pissed.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Curious …..did you talk to a few contractors before starting? Did you accept the lowest bid?

I don’t know squat but I know that ain’t right.

Who’s the builder?

I do work for a whole bunch of builders. I think Salty does as well. I can tell you that I’ve never laid eyes on anything that bad as what I see just from those few of pictures. That looks like it is probably a really bad job. I’d be concerned and start making some arrangements now. Talk to the contractor now about your concerns and see if he will address them first.

I wouldn’t pay a fuggin dollar for that…..

The first sign it was a bad deal was when you had to pay 10% up front. Any contractor that can’t afford to start a job ain’t worth dealing with. That’s some of the worst work I’ve seen in a new construction build. I wouldn’t let him touch my house again. Good luck
    Last edited by Remy; 10-11-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Yeah I’d be done last week on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    The first sign it was a bad deal was when you had to pay 10% up front. Any contractor that can’t afford to start a job ain’t worth dealing with. That’s some of the worst work I’ve seen in a new construction build. I wouldn’t let him touch my house again. Good luck
    i was worried about the money thing as well.

colt strikes again?
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    Yeah I’d be done last week on that one.
    How would you deal with the money lost / contractor issue at this point?

Contact the builder first. See if he will make it right. If nothing there, contact SCLLR and an attorney.

Lots of assumptions as I’m not sure what’s been discussed but as a rule of thumb the sooner you cut your losses the better. Holding out hoping for a change on goodwill based on details presented wouldnt be the path I’d be willing to accept. Legal
    Action is likely a dead end and more costly to the home owner but I’d lay the hammer if I felt the hill was worth dying/spending on. Outside of that I’d just right the wrong and move on. All this is said with the assumption appropriate negotiations have been exhausted.

That work looks like dogshit. I worked on a framing crew one summer in college. Over the same time period you described we completely framed 4 houses in the dry before I went back to school. This was when nail guns were not the norm. We didn’t use them until last house. Houses were not super small, 2-3000 sq ft. I’d go to my lot send those fuckers home and tell them not to come back. No need to get the contractor to address it. He ALREADY is not interested in addressing it apparently and full of shit. Have you been talking to him this whole time asking what’s going on? His answers? Delays happen, weather etc but you seem to be getting the shaft.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.