Thread: Pool deck coating

Default Pool deck coating

Anybody used one of the DIY coatings and had good results? My only issue with the bare concrete is a few stains and how bright it is in direct sunlight. Heat isn't bad, maybe some reflective heat. Just wanna darken it up some but dont want it peeling in a couple of years....

I don’t know about the DIY stuff but I have Kool Deck on mine, and it is starting to pop up in a lot of places now after about ten years. Wish I would have just gone with plain concrete or a stained concrete.

Mine is concrete as well and I have been looking at getting it coated with something. I don’t want it to look janky or start peeling up and create a bigger issue. No real complaints with concrete, but it’s bright and I have a few stains.

You can stain it now, but I’m afraid it will be very slick. That’s what I’d like to do, just because I like the way it looks. I suppose you could put a little grit in the coating to help that.

Anyway, I’ll be following this.

I stained my pool deck and surrounding concrete back in June of this year with Richard’s silicone acrylic concrete stain. It looks good so far. Minimal change in the concrete texture. I think you can also get some kind of additive to give it some added texture. It comes pre mixed in several different colors. I picked mine up at Lexington Paint and flooring.

If it's bare, no sealer, etc. I would use an acid based concrete stain. Nothing to peel up.
    Low country redneck who moved north

What did you decide?

if I'm debating between something, I would wait on Chessbay to pick.. undoubtedly it'll be nice as hell.

Going to look into the stain further. Wbrown's account of the Kooldeck coming up is steering me away from any kind of coating. I assumed that stuff is what all others are measured against. I'd rather maintain bare concrete than deal with shit peeling up.

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
    I stained my pool deck and surrounding concrete back in June of this year with Richard’s silicone acrylic concrete stain. It looks good so far. Minimal change in the concrete texture. I think you can also get some kind of additive to give it some added texture. It comes pre mixed in several different colors. I picked mine up at Lexington Paint and flooring.
    Is this the same place as E.D.'s?

Stains should penetrate (not peel), coatings coat (and will peel). Any coating on an exterior horizontal surface sitting on a big hard concrete sponge will peel over time. I'd stain with the best penetrating stain I could find.

like you know what you're talking about....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.