Thread: Good snacks/treats for dogs

Default Good snacks/treats for dogs

What are some good treats/snacks for dogs

Keep a box of milkbones and my dog loves them.

Did find a bag of chicken jerky and that as well

But have been told some of these are ok for dog and others are not

Curious to what most of y’all give your dog for treats

Good post b/c I have two puppies that are about to get a .22 if they keep chewing up stuff. The only thing that I have found that they like and don't eat are the cow hooves.

How about our resident vet, are cow hooves okay? Please say yes.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 10-10-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Publix has cow leg bones sliced about 1 1/2"- 2" thick and packaged 7-8 to a pack. Some pieces may have a little meat on them but they all have the bone marrow in them.
    My dog loves them.

20211010_094945.jpg
    Last edited by scatter shot; 10-10-2021 at 08:51 AM.

My dogs don’t get snacks. Occasionally if we have a piece of meat leftover from dinner that is not worth saving or bones I will give it to them. Antler pieces are about the only “treat” they get and the only thing that lasts more than a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    My dogs don’t get snacks. Occasionally if we have a piece of meat leftover from dinner that is not worth saving or bones I will give it to them. Antler pieces are about the only “treat” they get and the only thing that lasts more than a day.
    Mine love antlers. They are always bringing them home for me to run over with the mower. I just wish they would find them whenever I want them to.

My kid is an endless source of snacks for my dog. Plus he helps keep the floor clean.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Publix has cow leg bones sliced about 1 1/2"- 2" thick and packaged 7-8 to a pack. Some pieces may have a little meat on them but they all have the bone marrow in them.
    My dog loves them.

20211010_094945.jpg

Please no

If someone can tell me how to post a video from my phone, I had to saw one of these off a dobermans jaw last winter
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

I used to give my dog greenies because his breath was awful. They help clean their teeth. But the dogs at the barn get dollar store milk bones.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    These can get stuck in the esophagus, although generally they are well tolerated. Any bone they chew on has the potential to break teeth. Spent a few hours the other afternoon with a bone stuck mid-esophagus in a dog that we couldn’t push into the stomach with an endoscope. Almost went to the OR for a thoracotomy.

I’d rather shower with my dad than cut an esophagus.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Beets, carrots, green beans, parsnips, kale, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    These can get stuck in the esophagus, although generally they are well tolerated. Any bone they chew on has the potential to break teeth. Spent a few hours the other afternoon with a bone stuck mid-esophagus in a dog that we couldn’t push into the stomach with an endoscope. Almost went to the OR for a thoracotomy.

I’d rather shower with my dad than cut an esophagus.
    People have choked to death on hot dogs, bananas, steak, etc. but we still eat it.
    Sometimes shit just happens.

I make a lot of money off the “chew toys” people give dogs. Soft, hard, all of em.

Buy dog treats, you benefit nothing. Buy a rack of baby backs and give Fido the bones. Win-win.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Dolla dolla bills

No snacks for my dogs. (Only friends sneaking crackers to them in the blind ) Guess I’m just a hard ass. Their treat is to retrieve, and maybe a pat on the head if they do it right.

Grapes, onions, and Hershey kisses for mine.

We give my dogs all kinds of treats. We stay away from any of the leathery chews and anything made in China. We generally don't give bones of any kind except I occasionally let them chew the remaining meat off of raw deer leg bones, etc. Once they get down to gnawing the ball joints, I take them away.

Mine are so spoiled that they get bored with any single type so we rotate several different favorites. The chicken or beef jerky are some of their favorites. There is a "Veggiedent" one that they like a lot and it lasts more that three seconds. It's supposed to help with cleaning their teeth but I don't really think they do much. I scrape my dog's teeth every several weeks to remove tartar. Because of this habit, I discovered a melanoma tumor on my big dog's gum which he is getting treated for now. Luckily, I found it early.

We've been though damn near every treat offered and the dogs let us know which ones they like. I would hate to see what my wife spends on doggie treats. We keep shredded cheese in the frig just to augment their regular dog food kibbles. Their dog bowls stay full so they can eat at will. They try to ignore their regular food to save their appetite for better options.

That also get their fair share of deer jerky and sausage sticks. Be careful with deer jerky. They like it so much they might kill you in your sleep if there is a chance to steal another piece.

I try to separate the dogs when giving them treats. When dogs are together, they get competitive and tend to gulp stuff down more quickly, often without even chewing. That can lead to blockages or vomiting.

My dogs also get all kinds of people food. Frozen deer burger or "meat popsicles" is a favorite. That eat all kinds of vegetables; broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, carrots, butter beans, you name it. My dogs have tasted lobster. One will eat raw fish, especially live and whole, head first. They don't care for fried foods. One can't tolerate fatty chicken meat. They won't eat chicken tenders. Getting them used to different foods is very convenient when I'm traveling because I can pull into a drive-up and get everybody a burger, sausage and cheese biscuit or quesadilla.

You need to read up on what foods are bad for dogs before you give them stuff. Some people foods that you might not suspect are toxic to dogs like raisins, onions, macadamia nuts, etc.