Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Dog Training

Default Basic Dog Training

We have three rescues of different ages (3 yo male, 5 yo female, 8 yo female & leader) with differing levels of confidence, fear and hardheadedness. (If they even exist,) what are some basic principles/commands/teachable behaviors we can pass on to our dogs? Wife (90%) and I (10%) have worked hard to provide them with the best possible lives, much of which includes proper discipline. They and we have come a long way, but we wanna continue both their and our progress. Any tips or feedback on stuff that's worked for y'all is appreciated.

And they ain't pits, so don't front.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Best advice I was ever given on training a dog was said to me by a buddy originally from Georgia.
    “a dog can only get away with what you let him get away with”

Then he grinned and said “same thing applies to women and children”
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Best for one person to do the training/teaching. After you get thing going right then the other family members can work in there. My labs stayed in the kennels when i was not training or conditioning them as they were not family pets and i didn't want them to be. I was their master, they knew it and accepted it. They were working dogs but many time rode with me on a regular basis. It i think is more difficult with a family pet. Routine works best and be consistent in what you allow or don't allow.

If you let the dog jump on you then when people come to your home they will jump on them too so don't let them start that. Most folks don't like that.

Just be consistent. I'm trying to teach my daughter how to handle a dog, especially ones with lots of "personality".

Establish that you will tolerate no foolishness first. Second, consistency on commands.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

And if either of you call any of them furbabies, just go ahead and give up.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

"if you ain't got a pit, you ain't shit" -unknown
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Just be consistent.
    I think this sums up the key point in obedience training

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Best advice I was ever given on training a dog was said to me by a buddy originally from Georgia.
    “a dog can only get away with what you let him get away with”

Then he grinned and said “same thing applies to women and children”
    "You own what you condone" is how it was put to me. Very true.

I'm no expert but i think the three most important are probably here , heel and stay, and if you use an e collar be careful, depending on how timid or high strung the dog is you only need to turn the collar up enough to make them uncomfortable, not hurt them and the best advice i was given was to put the collar in the truck if you're mad or aggravated any at all, i had a gsp once that was so timid all you had to do was scold her a little, and also make sure you correct them immediately after they do something wrong so they know why, it does'nt help to punish them if they don't know why or what they are be punished for.

Read "absolutely positively gun dog training" by Robert Milner. Throw out the gun dog bits and just use his philosophy with obedience.

Training the dog to sit before it eats, sit before opening the door to let it inside or outside, just adds a small level of control that I like to have. Keeps the dog from bouncing around like it's on crack and "pays" the dog to be calm and patient.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    And if either of you call any of them furbabies, just go ahead and give up.
    Bruh, I don't call babies babies. Call 'em crumb-crunchers (a la Rush Limbaugh) or piss-pants (a la Kenny P.), So we good.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Bruh, I don't call babies babies. Call 'em crumb-crunchers (a la Rush Limbaugh) or piss-pants (a la Kenny P.), So we good.
    Your old lady's white right?

That's kind of what white women do. They created the whole fur baby, goldendoodle thing.

***editing to add***

And it's dumber'n shit.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 05-10-2022 at 03:15 PM.

(Predominantly caucasian) Soccer moms and middle-aged women in general make world go round. Fact.

You never ask a dog to do anything. You tell it.
    Board Member
    Cherokee Foothills Hunting Retriever Club

I will say a lot of trainers don’t teach stay. They teach sit and place. Place usually means sit in a certain place so it’s just an extension of sit. However when teaching sit the understanding is they aren’t supposed to move until you say so. It’s like teaching a dog to sit then lay down. Pretty soon when you say sit they’ll just lay down cause they think that’s what’s coming next.

here, no, and got damnit are my go to.
    Windows Down!

What, no “stop eating that kid”?

Should the mini golden doodle be backhanded every time she pisses in the bed and the owner lays down in it? Asking for a friend of course
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Dude needs to punch himself.

Do y'all employ (dog) whistles?