Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I-73

When you're being offered $50-$75K per acre, it's a hard thing not to take. For some, that is generational wealth. These tract builders have bought up almost all the land in Horry County. From my understanding, they are beginning the speculative buying down the 701 and 51 corridors in Georgetown now.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

701 south is one of the unmolested areas of the county. But I bet in my lifetime they will bridge the Bucksport area to Socastee and it will turn 701 into 707.

That infrastructure is already getting laid.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I know some local politicians have taken a liking to that area recently. Lots of money being spent down there.

701 South Development is right around the corner. Faster than most people think unless the market slows. The moment the SEL gets funded I'd expect for the development to go through the roof.

Georgetown is already on national homebuilders radar, the numbers just don't quite work at the moment. If home prices in Georgetown go up a few percent that'll change.

Its odd but the "come here's" are now the best friend of the "been here's" when it comes to stopping development. But they are being out maneuvered by the absentee land owners, and the children of farmers who see $$$$ not 40 acres of corn.

But when it comes to I-73 i'd ask what problem will it solve? Everyone here either has a job, or doesn't need one. Most middle class families are involved in construction or tourism. Our hotel occupancy rates are better than the national average for comparable towns, and we are one of the fastest growing population centers in the US. Obviously people aren't having a hard time getting here.

There is no current industry to support, and I can show you a few examples where the general public on the eastern side of the county opposes new industry. And the rural areas might say they want industry, but they don't want what it brings, they just cant see that far ahead.

I'd ask all I-73 supporters exactly what problem they are trying to solve with my several billion tax dollars.

didnt Horry/Myrtle Beach ask AVX to leave?

They moved to Greenville several years ago. They used to be right down from broadway at the beach.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    It was local-natives who sold out to development, gents. You're hating the symptoms of the illness but giving the virus a pass. Some of the finest grits-eating Horry families are the very reason why you have a neighbor from Ah-Hi-Ya, proving that some things never change about America, North or South.
    You sir, are correct. Any southern person looking around hating what SC has become can blame our own. We sold our soul for a few bucks.

I 73 is coming eventually. It will be in bits and pieces, but it’s coming. The old money in Horry county fought for decades to keep industry out. Folks wouldnt work for slave wages on the farm or in a motel if Grove Crane was paying 3-4 times the hourly wage. They still fear any job that’s not tourism related. Conway, Soccastee, And Longs have filled up with yankees that can’t afford to buy land or live at the beach. That shit is steadily creeping westward.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-05-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Stab an interstate through every rural area. Development good, open space bad. So progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I 73 is coming eventually. It will be in bits and pieces, but it’s coming. The old money in Horry county fought for decades to keep industry out. Folks wouldnt work for slave wages on the farm or in a motel if Grove Crane was paying 3-4 times the hourly wage. They still fear any job that’s not tourism related. Conway, Soccastee, And Longs have filled up with yankees that can’t afford to buy land or live at the beach. That shit is steadily creeping westward.
    It'll happen before we can turn around. On/Off ramps are currently in progress outside of Rockingham and next push will be toward the stateline.

Property values will go sky high in Dillon and Marion Co, with the yankees soon to follow with suitcases of money.

Quote Originally Posted by lowbudget View Post

I'd ask all I-73 supporters exactly what problem they are trying to solve with my several billion tax dollars.

To get the Ohioans to Highway 17 as fast as possible so they get jammed up and down 17 with no where to go. Would also be interesting to see who owns land in the path of said needed Interstate.

They'd do better to increase capacity on 95 and 26. That's actually needed. It's a shit show coming into SC from GA or traveling from Charleston to Greenville at times.

Quote Originally Posted by ADP View Post
    It'll happen before we can turn around. On/Off ramps are currently in progress outside of Rockingham and next push will be toward the stateline.

Property values will go sky high in Dillon and Marion Co, with the yankees soon to follow with suitcases of money.
    Marion County is depressing. Those who can drive to the beach or Florence to work. My wife was a nurse there for ten years and loved the folks she worked with. She ran employee education. Half the new hires failed the piss test and never made it out of orientation. Even if I 73 brought in industry and jobs, they don’t have the work force to support it.

Marion County is depressing. Those who can drive to the beach or Florence to work. My wife was a nurse there for ten years and loved the folks she worked with. She ran employee education. Half the new hires failed the piss test and never made it out of orientation. Even if I 73 brought in industry and jobs, they don’t have the work force to support it.
    Yep.

Didn't help either when Bobby Gerald's plan for Marion was for it to be a retirement community.

Don’t worry. If industry comes they’ll bring the yankee workers with them

This just in: 900 residential units planned for the old McGregor farm across from Lower Richland High School.

I'm a little more optimistic. I think if there was industry, there would be more hope. Kids growing up would see there are employment options beyond the drug trade, etc. I don't think Marion County and other areas of the Pee Dee or the former tobacco towns would be so fucked up if there'd been prospects for the future that local kids could see.

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    I'm a little more optimistic. I think if there was industry, there would be more hope. Kids growing up would see there are employment options beyond the drug trade, etc. I don't think Marion County and other areas of the Pee Dee or the former tobacco towns would be so fucked up if there'd been prospects for the future that local kids could see.
    Every profession I know of right now cant find help, from construction to bankers. The opportunities are there right now, and the opportunities are more appealing than working in the same factory for 30 years.

I-73 will be a detriment to the rural lifestyle western Horry County residents currently enjoy, and will all but kill the opportunity of their children to enjoy a similar lifestyle. The amount of support it has gotten from long term residents baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    This just in: 900 residential units planned for the old McGregor farm across from Lower Richland High School.
    Yeah, but who in their right mind would want to live on that side of town?

It will benefit nobody but Myrtle Beach and the people who own land at the exits coming into SC.

I'm sure it's a matching cost share plan. Where will SC's portion come from?

Rice and Clyburn have been pushing it for years.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

They'll sell every one