Thread: Cuddo

Default Cuddo

Decided to hunt some places I haven’t in a while. Been at least ten years since I’ve hunted Cuddo. Went in Friday with my climber on my back and walked till I found a big white oak dropping with good sign. Set up down wind right at dark had a pair of does come in. Shot one at 20 yards eating acorns. She mule kicked and scrambled off and I heard her crash. Got down and started trailing and my headlamp died. Just replaced batteries so go figure. Pull out phone to use as a light and it croaks right when I find the deer. Fun drag out.
    Go back to same spot next AM and have a buck come by at grey light. Not enough light to shoot. About 30 minutes later a button head came in ate a little and wandered off. At 8:30 I hear deer coming and it’s two more does. One stops in an opening at 42 yards an I center punch her. Watch her go down after about a 20 yard scramble.
    Saturday evening is a bust, but a hear some hogs fighting a couple of hundred yards away.
    Sunday AM I just go in on foot and set up in a big blowdown where I think the hogs were. About 830 I hear something coming and a doe comes out and browses for a while to within 15 yds. She gets a pass and browses on off. 20-30 minutes later I hear more movement. A black hog feeds to to 16 yds. Slam dunk. I center the pin release and my arrow hits a limb I looked right thru concentrating on my aiming point and the arrow deflects and goes into orbit. Porky wastes no time getting out of dodge.
    I call it a hunt and head for the truck. Felt good being getting in the woods finally and hitting some old spots I hadn’t seen in a long time.

EBFC384C-638B-4994-843A-202937E47BB7.jpg
    Last edited by FLS; 10-04-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Good stuff.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Good stuff, it sure was crowded the first weekend.

I was just thinking last night, man it's been a long time since I've hunted Cuddo and Hickory Top. The last time I rode through Cuddo the hogs had rooted up the hard packed crush-n-run on the roads.

My cousin killed a nice 7 first weekend. He said it was busy.

Last time I hunted Cuddo there weren’t any hogs. It’s been a while.

93 people is what I counted the first day. Hollar at me next time your down, I usually hunt it every weekend during bow season.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Last time I hunted Cuddo there weren’t any hogs. It’s been a while.
    They really showed up in 2011 when the lake was down, I could have sat on my dock and shot them with a rifle there was so many around the lake.

They really messed up Hickory Top too. HT used to be one of my favorite places to hunt. Just find a good white oak that was dropping and you had it made. Hardly ever ran into any other hunters because I hunted the "other" end.

One of my most "shit my pants" moments took place at HT. I was doing some scouting and wanted to scout the other side of a slough that I came up on. Instead of going around it I decided to wade across it. I got right in the middle, waist deep and seen a few baby gators come to the top of the water. Then I noticed that the "log" they were on started to move. About 3 yards from me momma popped up with the babies on her back. I about crapped my pants.

Good hunt.

I had to stop the truck for the hogs in the road right past the entrance two weeks ago on the way to John C landing.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-04-2021 at 01:01 PM.