Thread: Season of Firsts

Default Season of Firsts

Dove season has been a little different this year for me, missed opening day (first time in 15 years) and the 2nd shoot due to C-vid. Made up for that last weekend though with a good shooting performance and the dog did really well retrieving. The boys did well shooting my empties with the BB gun and practicing safe gun handling.

Real reason for this post is my oldest Colton (6) will turn 7 in a couple weeks and he has been watching anything fishing or hunting on YouTube he can. Been asking us for the past few weeks for his own gun for his birthday. To this point hasn’t shot anything other than BB gun and pellet gun, so I told him we’d start working our way up to the different recoil guns. Well rewind to Saturday and a buddy shows up with a Tristar .410 semi auto that he just bought for his daughter (who went to football game) and Colton is entranced by it, asks if he can shoot it and he obliges. We get out in the field and he can barely contain his excitement. Loaded 1 shell into the gun and he is ready, first bird comes by and he flips the safety and squeezes the trigger *miss* but the grin on his face was from ear to ear. We load him another shell and get him ready for the next one. By this time he thinks he’s a professional and asks me why I don’t have my gun loaded yet. His 2nd shot was a miss, but 3rd times the charm and he knocks one down all by himself on the wing. Lots of high fives ensued. This particular gun is still a hair big for him but he handled it really well especially for the first time shooting a shotgun. Even made me proud to hear him say one time that he didn’t shoot at a bird because someone was sitting over in that direction. Overall he did really well safety wise too, only once or twice did I catch him with safety off after he decided not to shoot at a bird too far. Barrel never once went in an unsafe direction.

He’s been coming to the dove field with me since he was 11 months old (with mom’s help) and by himself since he was 2, crazy to watch them grow up and mature to the point where they are starting to shoot too. He’s mad the season is out and we have to wait a few weeks to do it again.

What he doesn’t know is I have had a Mossberg .410 pump in the gun cabinet waiting for him for the last year.

I’ll be starting a go fund me for .410 shells though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

sweet. Congratulations. what it's all about
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

That is awesome.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Ain’t nothing better. That’s awesome.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Big smile! Congrats!

Awesomeness! Posts like these make me miss those days even more when mine were little!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

good job colton!

your wife damn sure spit him out.

good stuff
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That is just wonderful. Many of the best days of my life were spent afield with my Dad.

Congrats to you and your son moving to the next phase and him becoming a hunter. He will doubtless enjoy many memories made with you in the outdoors.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Excellent.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Awesome post!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff Davis!

That is good stuff!

Very nice. More posts like this please.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I have ha d the pleasure of teaching four sons how to handle and shoot guns safely. It is a good feeling to see them all turn into very good shooters. They range from 15 - 31 years old but I still smile every time i see them fold ducks and doves! Congrats to your young man!

Great photos and excellent job! Mine are 31 and 27 and I remember those steps from BB guns to .410 to 20 like it was yesterday. Cherish every moment, it goes by to fast.