Thread: Turkey

Default Turkey

Anybody have any experience raising turkey? I’d like to get one to raise and then have for thanksgiving 2022) We have chickens and goats now so it would be raised with the chickens. I’ve read the requirements are much different than chickens. We have plenty of space as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Get one and name it Tom
    Bone....

He’ll be named for.

For dinner
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

You'll want broad-breasted (meat turkey). I'd get a few cause you never know. If they all make it, you can freeze for Easter, new years, whatever. You can feed them a 22-26% game bird feed , but they do fine on a 20% meatbird(chicken). I feed the latter to everything from layers to cornish x to guinea, and turkey. They all do excellent on it. I only bother with the 22% for quail.
    Last edited by CurLee; 10-02-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Oh, I dont pay much attention to grow out time, but if you get em in the spring, and want one fresh for Thanksgiving, it could be north of 50lb by then. I only mess with heritage breeds so I just kill em bout the time they start gobbling.

Thank you sir
    R. Not

I was looking into meat chickens as well. Right now all we have are Easter eggers and silkies. A few fainting goats and boar goats
    R. Not

Will not mix make it if you have chicks close keep them separate