Thread: Multi-issue post from elk hunting to covid and back…

Default Multi-issue post from elk hunting to covid and back…

I hope to have a good, detailed post up in the OOS forum by Oct 10 or so regarding my first backcountry elk hunt, but Zi just wanted to give a quick update to let folks know that, despite being on death’s door just days ago, the Wyoming backcountry didn’t kill me…hasn’t yet at least.

The elk learning curve is steep…but I managed to learn a lot in my 18 days out there chasing them. First and foremost lesson to know and burn Into thy memory: just like turkeys, when u hear them, they are ALWAYS closer than u think.

Second lesson to burn just as deeply: when you are closing that final distance, DO NOT FORGET ABOUT COWS! They will be near that herd bull every time.

I started figuring it out by week 2, and by my last 4 days, I was getting closer and closer. I went home Wed 15th to surprise my wife on the 24th anniversary of the day I proposed. We went to dinner and had Good Lovin. I returned Thursday am and found myself standing 20 yards from a broadside 350” behemoth that had no clue I existed. I thought he’d be 70 yards and small from the bugles he gave me. While you can tell a big bull when he bugles big, they don’t always bugle big…never assume a bull is small by a puny, half ass bugle…and see That first rule I mentioned about proximity.

In the seconds it took for me to de-quiver and nock my arrow, he took a few steps and made it to some cover at 35 yards. He’d give me nothing but a quartering to neck forward look after that. I had him again broadside at 50. He’d have died twice with a compound, but that wasn’t my intent; not sorry. I flanked him and as I was 10 feet from where I was going to cut him off, his cows busted me from 20 yards away. I had a 25yard broadside shot at one for about 20 seconds, but there was s twig that was looking problematic, so I passed.

Two days later, I was again in great position with him 75 yards below me in the timber. I bugled and he came unglued as I quickly made a move to get to a spot I could shoot him when he popped out to put eyes on my last calling spot. I was again mere feet away from where I needed to be when his cows that I neglected to look for and did not see busted me again.

I returned home for the week with plans to be there this am. Unfortunately, I returned home to a very sick wife and the news that my 37 yo cousin had died on the 16th leaving behind his wife and a Son and daughter under 4 years old.

I was too worried about my wife to morn his death much, as she was very, very sick. She tested positive Tuesday afternoon. By Wed am, I was sicker than I ever thought possible. I had postponed the vax until after my trip so it would not interfere with the hunt; I regret that much! By Wed. Afternoon, I was convinced we were about to orphan ou boys. Abby was writing them letters; I was balled up in bed sobbing from pain and fever and grief that we were about to become statistics. I had an escalating fever that would not relent, and once it hit 104.7, I headed to the doc to do whatever I had to do. We were placed on ivermectin, hydroxychloriquine, Zithromax, zinc, C, D3, and adult aspirin. I finally had some relief the next day. We were able to get the regeneron infusions, and within 12 hours, we began to have some hope that we might live. Then it hit our lungs around day 7. We started steroids, and that Helped a bunch.

Today was the first day I could carry on a conversation without having to stop talking to catch my breath. I decided I was going to go out and do some yard work. I had to break often at first, but by this afternoon, I was feeling pretty good. Knowing I have 2 more days to fill this tag with my bow, I have decided to go after him the next two mornings…may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever decided to do, but he’s there and I just can’t let it go. I have a pulse ox and will be monitoring myself closely. Good news is the bull is hanging and traveling close to roads on a not too terrible area to hike around. Hopefully I can get him. Prayers for continued healing and safety much appreciated.

I write this to say this…look for the full story of my 18 day +2 days epic hunt…so much awesomeness to tell y’all about from epic hikes to spectacular views to great fishing. And..:get the f’n vax unless you have a reason that you can’t. This shit is no joke, and it is killing healthy people. I was convinced it was going to kill Abby and me, and only by the grace of God and our ability to get the therapeutics available (not available to many) are we still among the living. I know that if I had to endure the same again, I’d consider eating a bullet…if I didn’t have kids, it wouldn’t be a consideration, it would be a certainty. Please take care of yourselves and do anything you can to avoid getting this evil virus.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Good post! Looking forward to the second chapter

Wife and i got the vax and the covid still caught us but hadn’t put us down.

glad your doing well!
    Windows Down!

So, all that to say get the Vaxx?

Glad to read you survived.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

eat a bullet rather than be sick for a week? geeze.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    eat a bullet rather than be sick for a week? geeze.
    “Sick for a week” does not describe it. And being a couple of more days out, it seems harsh to make that statement…feeling better does wonders. I think the sustained fever that hit at least 104.7 once…was possibly higher at times…was literally cooking my brain, destroying cells, and changing me on top of the relentless agony and pain. If not for sadness of family and friends and the trauma and sadness it would have caused my kids, I was at the point where any fear or anxiety about moving on was gone, and the relief death would provide was not some bad, scary thing.

I’m not telling anyone to get or not get the vax…I’m going to get the J&J the first day I’m eligible. Proven technology, and its required for my career. Also, if there is any chance it keeps me from getting that sick again, I’ll take it.

I’m just saying, Elk hunting is the tits; we should all do some solo backbacking once and a while, and please do smart things to try to avoid this China virus crap so that you may too have many more adventures in your lives.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

So did you kill an elk?

Elk hunting in the rut cannot be beat. Not sure I enjoy doing it alone for multiple days in a row, days get long out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    So did you kill an elk?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton