Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Bass Tournament

Default First Bass Tournament

Trace had his first bass tournament at Hartwell this weekend. I think there ended up being around 130 boats between juniors, high school and college. BASS did a great job putting it on and making the kids feel like they were “big time”. He and his partner caught a bunch of fish on tournament day but really struggled to find keeper fish. The good news is he didn’t finish last lol.

This kid has been putting everything into learning. One thing we probably should have done different was not fish so hard on practice day. I think he ended up catching 5-6 keepers that would have definitely helped on tournament day. Next tournament is at Keowee In October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Awesome!

Fantastic!!
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Good stuff

That's awesome Bobby
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Good work!

Good stuff Bobby.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Good deal.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Great to hear b35!!! Just FYI, some people fish tourneys their whole life and still can't figure out to shake em off during practice....
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Great to hear b35!!! Just FYI, some people fish tourneys their whole life and still can't figure out to shake em off during practice....
    We should have spent more time finding cane piles and left the fish alone. I'll be honest, it's tough trying to figure it out only have fishing there once before and being new to bass fishing in general. Everything we learn, basically came from youtube.

Nice work Bobby!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Good work,

I know of a few fishermen who when pre-fishing the day or two before take the hooks of their crankbaits and top water lures
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Good work,

I know of a few fishermen who when pre-fishing the day or two before take the hooks of their crankbaits and top water lures
    Yup. That is the plan for next tournament

Good stuff! There’s a big difference between hitting your normal mill run and catching fish vs showing up somewhere new and fishing a tournament.

I won’t prefish once we are within a few days of a tournament, if anything I will stake out and watch.

We are essentially prefishing a lake 2 weeks prior to the tournament then there is another practice day they day before.

I like the shirt/jersey.

Bobby- have him read the old Bassmaster series Day on the lake- they take pros to a mystery lake and the get 8 hours to figure it out and catch fish.

Historical seasonal patterns are a great starting point- riding the lake and finding the primary depth of bait holding on typical bass locations gives a great starting point- and if all else fails- points point the way to fish.

KVD wrote some great articles on how to show up on a strange lake, find and catch winning keepers using the above methods- almost without casting a lure.

I know everyone is all in on electronic maps- get him the full sized waterproof lake maps with gps data- worth every penny because he can leave them open and plan his tourney day at home, as well as marking what he finds on the map. Pattern fishing still wins lots of tourneys- if he finds fish on secondary points ending at the 15' contour- he can pull out the map and quickly find they by following the contour lines instead of trying to scroll all over the screen.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    We are essentially prefishing a lake 2 weeks prior to the tournament then there is another practice day they day before.
    What type of electronics do you have?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Bobby- have him read the old Bassmaster series Day on the lake- they take pros to a mystery lake and the get 8 hours to figure it out and catch fish.

Historical seasonal patterns are a great starting point- riding the lake and finding the primary depth of bait holding on typical bass locations gives a great starting point- and if all else fails- points point the way to fish.

KVD wrote some great articles on how to show up on a strange lake, find and catch winning keepers using the above methods- almost without casting a lure.

I know everyone is all in on electronic maps- get him the full sized waterproof lake maps with gps data- worth every penny because he can leave them open and plan his tourney day at home, as well as marking what he finds on the map. Pattern fishing still wins lots of tourneys- if he finds fish on secondary points ending at the 15' contour- he can pull out the map and quickly find they by following the contour lines instead of trying to scroll all over the screen.

Good Luck
    Great info! I’ve started using dip shading where I can highlight specific debts to make it easy to identify on the map.