Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Zero

Default Scope Zero

Can a rifle scope get off zero setting in the gun safe?
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

I have never had a problem with my rifle in a case before. I haven’t adjusted the sight in two years. Hunted hard last year. If you have it in a good case and don’t bump it around hard you should be fine. I’ve had my case fall over and I’ve bumped my gun on the deer stand still shoots fine. Make sure your brackets are tight and their is no play and you should be fine.
    Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Rare but yes.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'd say no, but anything's possible. Did you bump it putting it in safe, yes, it could get off then.
    Low country redneck who moved north

it can happen. If you really want to test it take it off he gun and put it standing up on a mirror and out some small shims under it. Then look thru it and you will see two sets of cross hairs. Line those up then then scope is back to zero and go shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    it can happen. If you really want to test it take it off he gun and put it standing up on a mirror and out some small shims under it. Then look thru it and you will see two sets of cross hairs. Line those up then then scope is back to zero and go shoot it.
    This right here. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    This right here. Lol
    let me add the scope is back to true zero for the scope not the rifle. You will have to sight it in again. Sorry if that was confusing

Yes, it's very possible. IMO, the more expensive the scope, the more likely it needs a slight adjustment before every season. Conversely, the old three power, fixed scope from the 1950's on my grandfather's rifle hasn't needed an adjustment since Reagan was president [first term].

Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon 300 WM, Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 MRAD, Talley Rings Was zeroed 2 years ago killed two bucks that year, no problem with zero, last year check zero and rifle still on zero, no deer killed last year, put rifle in safe this year check zero and it shoots 3' low to left first two shots. I'm very careful with my rifles so I'm a little confused on how it could get off zero.
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

Any change in ammo? New box with a different lot number? How has ammo been stored? Any extreme temp changes in ammo?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Yes went from Barnes Vor-TX to Remmington Core-lok. Ammo all stored in gun safe

~Chief Seattle ~

There’s your problem
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I guess, just didn't think it would be 3 feet off

~Chief Seattle ~

# 9 should’ve been the first question.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
    I guess, just didn't think it would be 3 feet off
    A change in ammo from lot to lot can cause shifts of several inches sometimes. Brand and weight changes may be a few inches to several feet. Never know till you check it on paper.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

3 ft at 100 yds?

3” I could understand but not 3 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
    Yes went from Barnes Vor-TX to Remmington Core-lok. Ammo all stored in gun safe
    and there you have it
    Carolina Counsel

Why would a scope loose zero just sitting in a safe? Not talking some hundred thousands of an inch off due to the barometric pressure difference in safe.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Even with a change in ammo 3 feet at 100 yds is hard to figure. I’ve never personally seen that big of a change unless something was loose or broken.