Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope Zero

Quote Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
    Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon 300 WM, Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 MRAD, Talley Rings Was zeroed 2 years ago killed two bucks that year, no problem with zero, last year check zero and rifle still on zero, no deer killed last year, put rifle in safe this year check zero and it shoots 3' low to left first two shots. I'm very careful with my rifles so I'm a little confused on how it could get off zero.
    Yes went from Barnes Vor-TX to Remmington Core-lok. Ammo all stored in gun safe
    Does your rifle by any chance also have a wooden stock? If so, a slight warp where part of the tip of the stock now touches the side of the barrel could cause some wild variations in zero.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Why would a scope loose zero just sitting in a safe? Not talking some hundred thousands of an inch off due to the barometric pressure difference in safe.
    I would consider losing zero and a different point of impact due to different ammunition as two entirely different things
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Sure, I understand ammo change, but his original question said sitting in a safe.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Sure, I understand ammo change, but his original question said sitting in a safe.
    And his original question didn’t factor in the fact the fact he changed ammo.

I’d say he needs to find some more Barnes and see how the gun is shooting with what it was originally sighted in with and then he can make the determination as to wether or not he truly lost zero.

I don’t think he did.

It’s a bold assumption to think that a gun will shoot different brands of ammo the same. Did the OP change the grain of the bullets as well??
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

No a scope cannot lose zero sitting in a safe. The amount of terrible information and ignorance in this thread is astounding
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Thanks Griffin, that's what I wanted to hear.
    Low country redneck who moved north

actually, it said "setting"(sic)

I'm with you, though. i aint a rifle guy but something aint screwed on right if its off that much.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    No a scope cannot lose zero sitting in a safe. The amount of terrible information and ignorance in this thread is astounding
    where you been? I've missed your smart ass mouth. takes some heat off me....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I’m glad someone finally said it….

I know it sounds hard to believe, but the fact is that it went from no problem last year, to in the gun safe in my house, it has not been out of the safe since December, maybe it got bumped when I was putting other rifles in safe, not sure, but the only known change was I was out of Barnes ammo and could not find any to buy so just went with the Remington core-loks same grain in both (150 grain), I do not remember bumping the scope, I have not checked the screws on the mounts so maybe something is loose, I will re-mount the scope and retighten the screws, also someone had said that it maybe too much copper build up in the barrel so I will clean it before trying again. PS... anyone know where I can buy a box of Barnes Vor-Tx 300 WM 150 grain ammo?
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

It’s not the ammo.

Your gun is going to change POI every time you change ammo, hell even with the same ammo and 1 grain of powder its gonna shoot/group different.

clean it, make sure its shooting a good group, and then sight in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

3' damn
    Did you pull the bolt and look through the barrel and scope?
    Did the ammo feel very weak from a recoil perspective?

anyone know where I can buy a box of Barnes Vor-Tx 300 WM 150 grain ammo?
    High as giraffe pudding but here you go. Me personally I'd check your scope mounts, then check to see if your action screws holding barreled action to stock is still tight and properly torqued. May want to check the scope on another gun.

Can only be some many things. Make sure everything is snug and try sighting in using the Corelokt again.

https://greenacressporting.com/produ...-20-round-box/
    Last edited by ADP; 09-27-2021 at 08:42 PM.

Poor scope mounting can cause creep with recoil and thermal cycling.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

What kind of scopes and mounts do y’all shoot? I’ve beat the shit out of rifles and never had anything be off by THREE feet. You bump it getting it in and out of a safe and it’s out of adjustment???
    I shot 3 different brands of bullets, Sierra, Hornady, and Berger, with 3 different powders H1000, IMR 4831, and RL 22, Saturday at 200 yards and if I had been using the same point of aim even with the biggest groups, they would have all been within a 3-4” circle.
    Something don’t add up…

One thing that hasn't been mentioned as to the screws - you really should be using Loctite on the screws that mate the scope bases to the receiver. That is crucial. A FATs or other device that has settings to the precise pounds of torque applied is a great idea.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Run a Qtip around inside the muzzle to see if any fibers get hung up.

I retract my earlier comment. I read it as 3 inches, not 3 feet. I am not Griffin, but I can't imagine brand making a difference of 3 feet. I had an experience on an OOS trip where couldn't get the rifle to hold zero. The scope mount had become loose. Check everything over on the scope, mount, and rifle, including looking down the barrel. Something ain't tight.
    Carolina Counsel