Thread: Off Grid Power

Default Off Grid Power

Looking to power an off grid hunting cabin. Will be using propane for stove and heat. How do I set up my lights and other stuff? Solar to dc to inverter to ac? Looking for powering lights and cell charging.

Thanks!

I would stay with DC.

That solar 100watt kit from harbor freight gets good reviews
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Just get a Honda 2000 generator. Very affordable (1000 bucks or so) and last for years and years. I run two hooked together for 4000 watts at my cabin and they have never failed me. 10 years old and I’m sure they will last for many more. Super quiet too really.

solar is easy and so is a waterwheel if you have decent running creek. Really sounds like you only need enough electricity to keep a small bank of batteries on trickle charge.

I’m riverfront on my cabin and completely off grid a half mile from the highway.
    I current use gen power to run my cabin (Honda 2200i quiet inverter) and have a second gen as a pair and for the ability to parallel if ever needed.
    I use a pump with an in-line filter to fill two big water totes on pylons from the river; then from there is an in-line on demand pump providing water pressure to the cabin. My river water is pretty clean and clear for the most part. Fine for showers, tiolets, dishes, etc. Still bring it in by the gallon for drinking but could with further purification.
    I have an RV instant hot water heater going to the shower that is propane run.

I’m also exploring ideas on a paddle wheel geared to run an alternator and charge a series of batteries as my main power source.

Having a lot of fun with the place.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 09-25-2021 at 01:56 AM.

12v lighting with battery kept topped off with small solar panel and regulator. New regulators can mount inside camp and now have ports, led read outs for charging phones, etc
    We catch rain off the metal roof, cistern in 275 gallon totes. 12v pump water back into camp for shower, toilet and kitchen / bathroom sinks
    I use a 2000w inverter genny (Harbor Freight $500) to run my window a/c or 1200w heater and small dorm fridge. 1 1/2 gallon burn lasts around 12 or more hours. Dorm fridge really cuts down on opening and closing ice chests for cold drinks. I also use the fridge to chill down fresh cleaned ducks, rabbits, doves, etc before putting them in ice chest.
    We have a larger genny for running the whole camp and 110v water heater (I will replace it with on demand propane once this one craps out) We do have a larger genny that can run a/c, microwave, water heater, coffee pot simultaneously, it is loud but will give you all the comforts of home for the price of burning a lot more fuel.

We're 18 miles from the nearest boat launch off the grid. Gas and ice are commodities. I make gallon jug block ice and cover with cube. This will last 7 days or more depending on weather or if we kill hogs during duck season. During Summer, bring ice chests inside a/c camp to help save ice.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

YouTube is your friend.

Congrats on having an off grid cabin. I'd live to have the same problems one day..

I had solar panels, converter, and batteries that I installed myself.

I supplemented it with a quiet Honda generator converted to LP during the summer when two ACs were running.

Stove, hot water, and heat were LP. I used a portable battery fired tankless water heater that I mounted outside the kitchen.

As far as an inverter generator goes, it doesn't have to be a Honda. A couple of us Station 6 guys picked up 2200W Westinghouse models on sale from Sam's for $329 shipped. We have run them nonstop for 7 days in the swamp with absolutely no issues and quiet as a church mouse.
    Last edited by triplebeard; 09-25-2021 at 11:12 AM.

I'd like to see them that cheap again!
    Low country redneck who moved north

So if I want to do dc lights is it really as simple as running to northern tool and buying a solar kit and a deep cycle and rocking on? I’ll run the stove off propane.
    Last edited by CreekGeek; 09-25-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    So if I want to do dc lights is it really as simple as running to northern tool and buying a solar kit and a deep cycle and rocking on? I’ll run the stove off propane.
    Yes

Edited to say with 12 vdc led bulbs even better.
    Last edited by Bownut; 09-25-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    12v LED lights are the way to go. I have a 40w solar panel that charges one deep cycle battery. Water pump and 12v lighting run off the battery. Knock on wood this setup has been 100% reliable for 5 years or more now.

During hurricane Ida I had a buddy use an "open inverter" style generator. Cost less than $500 and he ran multiple freezer, fridge and two window a/c units. Ran quiet and fuel burn was 14 hours on 4 gallons of gas. I still like the fuel burn on my 2000w Predator at 1 1/2 gallons per 12 hours on eco mode. I just have to turn off the a/c or heater when I make a pot of coffee in the morning.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill